Notifications
Clear all

tuning

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rainbowgirl)
Topic starter  

hi this is such a stupid thing im sure but im having trouble tuning. excuse my dumb way of explaining i am a beginner after all lol!
i cannot get the 3rd string from the top (on lefthanded strung guitar) to go higher - i did this and it snapped and now i got it restrung i keep tuning up and its so tight i darent do it anymore but its still sounds too low.
i played the first string e on a cd, and tuning from there so i know i got the first string right.
i tried loosening it and trying again but same trouble WHAT AM I DOING ?????!!!
ahhh this is doing my head in - please help lol

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Here's a tuner on my site that you can tune to.
http://www.fretsource.com/Flash%20progs/Tuner.html
But this is for a right handed guitar so make sure you reverse the order on your left handed guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hi Rainbowgirl and welcome to GuitarNoise. :D

Your question isn't dumb at all, actually this exact question has been posted many times.

And here is what you are doing wrong. When you put a new string on a guitar, you do not pull the string all the way through the tuning peg on your headstock. If you do that, the string will instantly become very taut and snap before you can get even one string wrap.

What you need to do is give the string about 1-1 1/2 inches slack. You will have to turn the tuners lots of times before the string becomes taut. You should get at least three full string wraps around the tuning peg before it becomes taut. And you want these wraps, they secure the string in place. On the bass strings, two or three wraps is all you want. On the thinner treble strings you want the strings to wrap around three to five times before becoming taut. Your strings will not snap like this, and your guitar will stay in tune, the string wraps keep the strings from slipping.

Here is a nice photo:

This photo shows the bass E (6th string) on the right, the B (5th string) in the middle, and the D (4th string) on the left. Note that the bass E string has about 3 wraps around the tuning peg, the D string has about 4 or 5. So you use less wraps with the thick strings, more with the thin ones.

So give that new string some slack so it can wrap around the tuning pegs a few times and you won't have any more problems with strings snapping. And your guitar will stay in tune too. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rainbowgirl)
Topic starter  

thanks peoples, i will try these - been bit busy with work but asap i can i will look at these points you menetion and try the tuner thank you i shall let you know how im getting on !

ReplyQuote