Clear all

Tuning down and fret buzz.

17 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone i have a question about tuning.
I'am trying to play through the song "The Red" by Chevelle.
It says you have to tune down three steps,
but everytime i do this the strings buzz on the frets.
Is there anyway i can make it so the strings don't buzz,
and how do they do it :?:

"The answer is practice.
Now, what's the question?"
Words by David Mead.

(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Raise the action?

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@hughm)
Trusted Member

Raise the action?

Nope. Use heavier gauge strings to (partially) compensate for the loss in tension as you tune down. Down three steps? Definitely go for a chunky medium gauge string.

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'am all ready using DR handwound 11's. Do i need to go higher

"The answer is practice.
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If it is an electric I don't think you want to go higher than 11's so, as Metaellihead said, you may need to just raise the action a little bit to compensate. If you don't know how, then tell us what kind of guitar and we can tell you how.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

A combo with a little higher action and 1 size up in strings might work. But I dunno.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Wait you don't want anything higher than 11's on a electric guitars :?: :!: :?: :!:
These new strings rock 8) The DRstring are so nice.

"The answer is practice.
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I played a lot of this downtuned stuff in a band about 4 years ago. But we never tuned that low. Our lowest tuning was what I call D/C. That is where you tune all strings down one whole step and then the 6th string an additional whole step. This was the tuning used by many groups we covered like System of a Down.

Yep, you have to completely set your guitar up different. Get the heaviest strings you can (I used 11-53 if I remember correctly), you also have to raise your action. In addition, down tunings will throw your intonation WAY off. I had to back some of my saddles back almost to their limit. You really want to get the intonation correct on those 1 finger power chords. Otherwise you will really hear it.

Sometimes a tab like that is tab for a 7 string guitar written for 6 string. There are also Baritone guitars with longer necks designed for down tunings. You should look into either a 7 string or Baritone guitar.

It says you have to tune down three steps

Is that 3 HALF-STEPS or 3 WHOLE-STEPS?? Going 3 half steps is just about the limit for a normal 6 string guitar. I hope it doesn't mean 3 whole steps. Your strings will be so slack they will be like rubber bands.

Another thing about down tunings is you have to learn to play VERY gently.
The strings are so slack you will get big booms and wobbles if you strike the strings hard. I have even had strings jump and get caught on my pickups. So you have to learn to play with a very soft touch at all times.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Wouldn't a Baritone tuned down a semitone achieve that result?

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Alternately, unless you are playing along with the CD, keep your standard tuning and play what's written. It'll be a bit higher than you're used to, but it won't affect how you learn the song.

Just a thought...

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

The dude from Chevelle plays a baritone PRS, so you're going to be fighting with that for a good portion of their songs.

I second Laz's sentiment to play everything in standard (or normal drop D if it's in the song): it shouldn't affect anything unless you're playing right along with the CD.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

It says you have to tune down three steps

It says the string are C#-F#-B-E-G#-C#
The other one says down 1/2 step then drop D (C-G-C-F-A-D)

The dude from Chevelle plays a baritone PRS, so you're going to be fighting with that for a good portion of their songs.

Those PRS guitars look nice :!: But could'nt find a price. It would be nice
to have to guitars. One for normal tuning, and one for drop tunings. Do you know any others with a good setup for drop tunings.

"The answer is practice.
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Of course 7 strings are often more capable than standard for big drop tunings, Ibanez has come to the front as the most popular manufacturer at the moment.

Gibson does a baritone Studio model, Ibanez's Mike Mushok (of Staind) model has an extended scale... those are the ones I can think of right now.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Oh yeah, and for PRS prices, they tend to be in the 1400-3000 range, depending on the amenities you demand. They don't normally make baritone's either, that was a one off that they made for him.

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanx for the help. The Ibanz baritone looks sweat, but iam going to look around. Those PRS's are out of my budget, and not a big fan of the les pauls(don't like the looks). Post back if you think of some others.

"The answer is practice.
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2