Skip to content
Urgh. Is it speed o...

Notifications
Clear all

Urgh. Is it speed or accuracy or co-ordination that I lack?

17 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

A typical Hendrix et al trick is to repeat say:

--------------16-----------
--14---16----------------- ad infinitum
----------------------------

or say

------------------16-------
--14-h-16--16------------ ad infinitum
----------------------------

very quickly.

I have to say that whilst I can obviously do it at low speed, at high speed my pick and finger eventually collide in syncronicity, which isn't great when you're trying to hammer on.

Perhaps I know that I'll get it eventually if I keep practicng at low speeds and building it up (how many times have we heard that? :wink: ), but I just wanted to know if this was something people picked up quickly or something that takes a while to master etc.?

Also, anyone got tips on fingerin for these patterns? Eg. do you barre the two strings with your index then use your ring to twiddle or do you move all fingers independently (no barring)?

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

That's one of the things I really have trouble with.

I find it helps to do something with the same timing but an easier pattern for a while first, I use something like -3p2p0-3p2p0- (any string), then move to picking the open string as well, so -3p2-0-3p2-0-, then finally back to the riffs you've got above.

I've still got a loooong way to go with that one :wink:

Edit: Oh, and I barre the two higher notes, but do a slight roll of the finger so that I don't get an unwanted note...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Difficult to tell what the problem is, exactly, cos we don't know how long you've been playing; so I'll got for safety and say that everything's letting you down. With a bit more information we might beable to come up with a better answer.

I would double stop the strings with the 4th and 3rd fingers, but that's in isolation - we really need to know what comes before and after that bit.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Alan: It's more a case of when it's repeated for me, ie, the start of Oasis's She's Electric. (That's the impression I got from Clazon too, but who knows if that's just a projection of my problem? :))

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Difficult to tell what the problem is, exactly, cos we don't know how long you've been playing; so I'll got for safety and say that everything's letting you down. With a bit more information we might beable to come up with a better answer.

I would double stop the strings with the 4th and 3rd fingers, but that's in isolation - we really need to know what comes before and after that bit.

Best,

A :-)

I've been going for 2 years this christmas. I would say I'm about average for that. Pretty sure I'm not below that, because I've been giving Hendrix a go with some success and my theory is better than friends who have -played for the same.

Strangely enough it'd be fine to explain it in isolation, because most of the times I want to use it it's a HendriX/Frusciante fill that goes on for a few bars.

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Alan: It's more a case of when it's repeated for me, ie, the start of Oasis's She's Electric. (That's the impression I got from Clazon too, but who knows if that's just a projection of my problem? :))

Yeah. I did mean that with the ad infinitum thing. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

:D

EDIT:
consider:

--15--12----------------
-------------15---12-----

A more precise questions would be:

Here, should I just use my fretting hand only and repeatedly pull-off/hammer on?

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Myself, I'd probably play it like this:

-15p12-----15p12------
------15p12-----15p12-

...with a pick and a pull on each string, but it would depend on the sound you're going for. You could do it like that, or pick each note or pick none and each will sound different. There's no correct way to do it I'm afraid, just whatever works for you and/or that particular song :)

For example, there's one riff my tutor gave me (loooong time ago I had some lessons for a while) for working up my picking speed. It's got a couple of hammers and pulls, but mainly it is a picked riff. Whenever I'm just messing around, I nearly always end up playing it at one time or another, but when I'm messing I barely pick it at all. I still use it as an exercise and pick it then, but for messing around I do it almost entirely legato just for the sound.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Miles Davis once said,' if you cant play fast, play it sloooow'.

I get stumbled when trying fast triplets. they dont sound smooth like the way I hear on CDs.
Im getting closer with practice.
but I like it when I play 'sloooow'.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Miles Davis once said,' if you cant play fast, play it sloooow'.

I get stumbled when trying fast triplets. they dont sound smooth like the way I hear on CDs.
Im getting closer with practice.
but I like it when I play 'sloooow'.

Hehe.

Although I'm quite proud of my rhythm. In my bands latest song I have to play a variety of off beat/perculiar rhythms in one song.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

for that 1st lick, plant the index and ring, and hammer with the middle

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

For both I think I'd play the first note with my index finger, the second with my ring and roll that finger to play the next note.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i go with the general rule of thumb that the fewer moving parts there are, the less is likely to break down on you.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I'm with Chris(Cnev) on the first one, fret the note on the B string with the index, hammer on the second note with the ring finger, roll the ring finger onto the high E string and pick that note. You are doing fine, it is just a matter of coordination. You just have to play it as fast as you can while being accurate and sounding clean, and slowly increase speed.

On the second example I would hold a little barre over the E and B strings with my index. Now, myself, I would use my pinky. But I would pick the higher note and pull off for the lower note on the same string. Then I would do the same on the B string. So, you are only picking twice but sounding 4 notes. Most people would probably use their ring for the pulls. Whatever is more comfortable and sounds better is what you should do.

That advice about playing slow is very good. Speed is way overrated. It is better to play great notes and play with feeling than to play fast. Everybody wants to play fast, it is cool, but players who can play slow are cool too. One of my favorite solos of all times is Paul Kossoff of Free on Alright Now. Paul always played slow, but man he was awesome. Very few people have his chops.

You can have all those Metal players who play a million notes. Boring. Listen to somebody who REALLY knows how to play guitar. Listen to the bends, unbelieveable vibrato, hybrid picking, slides, just total dynamics. Playing slow ROCKS. You can't do this stuff playing a thousand notes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxxdUo4Y6O8

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i can't do that rolling thing at high speeds without getting too much noise to annoy myself.

ReplyQuote
(@mhlandry)
Trusted Member

i can't do that rolling thing at high speeds without getting too much noise to annoy myself.

I'm not very good (any good really, but learning), but Hendrix is one of my favorite guitarists and so I've collected several of his DVDs. I don't really know what I'm doing but I'll look at them and try to figure out what he's doing. I'm pretty sure he never uses the rolling technique. He tends to barre chords/play with straight fingers and pick individual notes. So he'd probably just have both strings fretted at the same time and pick both without moving his hand at all. This is one of the things I noticed about Hendrix's style: it is very graceful. Lots of times he's not moving his fretting hand frantically to come up with those killer rhythmic riffs.

Btw, the Hendrix at Woodstock 2 DVD set is quite good.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2