Clear all

doing the intros for the wish you were here lesson

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@iceanfire)
Topic starter  

Hey,

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the instructions on this lesson: https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/wish-you-were-here/

I think I go the first part of the intro down, heres what I do (let me know if everything is in the right order please, I put a asterik where I thought I might be messing up):

1. Play the first string with my finger on the third fret
2. play the hammer on
3. Play the D string and put my finger on the second fret of the D string and play that
4. play the E string
5. play the G chord in rythm : down, up, up , down
--
6. play D string second fret
7. play the filler (G chord - down, up)
8*. do hammer on , on the second fret of the A string
9*. play E string with finger on third fret , and then play the E string.
10. play the Em7 chord (down, down, up, up, down)

============

I don't undertsand the second part at all, because to me the tabs don't seem to match what he is playing on the mp3 (the most confusing parts being the single notes )

I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me learn this song. Let me know if you want me to rephrase any part of my question.

thanks!
Hadi

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

2. play the hammer on
3. Play the D string and put my finger on the second fret of the D string and play that

When you say first String are you meaning the Higher Pitched "E" String or the Low (Bass) Pitched "E" String?

If I'm reading you right it sounds like you have them mixed up.

Listen to that first note Its a BASS "G" so that's 6th String "LOW E" on the Third Fret or a "G".

Then a Hammer ON A to B or Open 5th string to a 2nd Fret 5th String or a "B"

Sorry I don't mean to sound like I'm talking down to you.. not my intention, its hard sometimes to communicate with only text. I tried to find a video but no luck at least not on google with a good up close of how the fingerings go.

Keep at it.. its a great song and once you get it, you'll keep it forever :)
D-

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You might want to check this thread in the lessons forum:

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=9669

But be sure to take a moment to read Guidelines for Posting in the Lessons Forum. That forum has different rules from the others.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@iceanfire)
Topic starter  

2. play the hammer on

When you say first String are you meaning the Higher Pitched "E" String or the Low (Bass) Pitched "E" String?

If I'm reading you right it sounds like you have them mixed up.

Listen to that first note Its a BASS "G" so that's 6th String "LOW E" on the Third Fret or a "G".

Then a Hammer ON A to B or Open 5th string to a 2nd Fret 5th String or a "B"

Sorry I don't mean to sound like I'm talking down to you.. not my intention, its hard sometimes to communicate with only text. I tried to find a video but no luck at least not on google with a good up close of how the fingerings go.

Keep at it.. its a great song and once you get it, you'll keep it forever :)
D-
Hey,

I completley miswrote that. When I said first E , i actually meant the 6th string E (not e). Sorry for the late reply, been really busy lately and haven't had the chance to work on my guitar technique. Other than that slight typo, am I doing anything wrong in my first intro?

Also if you could list out the steps for me to do the second part of the intro I would really appreciate it. The tabs in the lesson don't match what he plays in the sample mp3. And the sample mp3 sounds alot better!

I'll also check out http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=9669 and read thru there to find any advice related to my problem.

thank you,
Hadi

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hadi,

I'd suggest you looking at the Intermediate lesson for this, Dave does a great job with the intro Solo to this song.

That's how I learned it.
https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/wish-you-were-here-intro-solo/

Also.....hey Man. If you don't nail this song exactly perfect, don't sweat it. Most people wouldn't notice anyway.

Realize that what you hear on the records and/or in concert, these guys have played their songs 1000's of times.
You've played it what? A dozen? Maybe?

So when I'm learning a song, I don't sweat the small stuff. Yeah One day I expect to have it as close to perfect, but in the mean time, I just sit back, enjoy playing the song and I "MAKE IT MINE" I make it "MY VERSION" of the song. Which is more than OK. :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

Here is a link to a free vidio lesson of WYWH, look on this page for the link, there are 3 pages of free lessons if you want to check them out.

http://www.licklibrary.com/videovault.asp?v06cntr=F

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
(@iceanfire)
Topic starter  

thanks for that link, i'm downloading the video right now. Also, I'll check out the intermediate version this weekend.

thanks! You guys are all really helpful!

ReplyQuote