Clear all

Weather change and.......

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

my G&L no has high action. Is there a book or video which is available that can help me do my own set-up. I am really getting tired of paying someone to do this. Not to mention not having my guitar for a week.

(@satch_da_man)
Trusted Member

I used to have this one, all kinds of help...

How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great!

By Dan Erlewine

I bet someone here has or knows of a website with most of this info for free though...

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

http://www.fender.com/support/setup/stratsetup.php

It's for Strats but should help

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Nil's site at http://home.nycap.rr.com/nils/ Some good basic setup info
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

As the others pointed out, there's plenty of info on the net. Do a Google search and you'll find others too.

Once you've successfully done one it doesn't seem all that hard, but I guess you need a reasonable eye and ear. You're dealing with very small differences in sound and distance so you need to be confident that you'll actually be able to see and hear the points at which you've hit the sweet spots.

With any dismantling or adjusting job (for guitar or anything else) it's also an excellent idea to know where you started from before you start tinkering about. Then if you lose your way, get cold feet, or realise that you're having trouble judging whether you're getting it right or not, then at least you can get back to where you started from. This might mean anything from taking a few pictures, making some measurements, or simply counting how many times you turn any screws, and then jotting the figures down. Don't just expect to remember it all. :?

Before you do anything make sure that you completely understand the concepts. E.g. what the difference is between setting the bow or 'relief' on the neck, and by adjusting the height of the strings at the bridge, and when, how and why you should adjust one rather than the other. Also what 'intonation' actually is and what you are trying to achieve by adjusting it. Once you've got a grip on all that, the actual work is not too tough... Good luck. :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Here's one of the sites I rely on for good guitar information.

http://home.nycap.rr.com/nils/

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Good info Chris, always..ALWAYS write down your strating points and keep track of the changes you make
Robbie

ReplyQuote