Well I bought an el...

Notifications
Clear all

Well I bought an electric!

17 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I am not sure if you read my previous post about my Fender San Luis Rey acoustic (Read it here)...

Well I went to the GREAT House of Guitars here in Rochester, NY and first off I was stunned at all the guitars AND CD's they had (they had some VERY hard to find stuff!)...While I was walking around I was looking at the sale ads on their wall and I saw an ad for a guitar pack for $99...well I thought it was probably just a cheapo unit they were trying to get rid of...The salesman brought the kit out and he said it was one of their most popular packs and they NEVER had one returned...He opened up the box and I was impressed (well since I don't know much about electrics that's not hard to do!)...

The pack is a Behringer V-Tone Guitar Pack ( http://www.music123.com/Behringer-V-Tone-Guitar-Pack-i128187.music ) and I'll tell you..I got the thing home pulled it out of the box and I expected the amp to sound terrible...That little amp sound GREAT for a 15 watt amp!! I can't believe I got this for that price! I couldn't get a Walmart special for that price!!

Now I am waiting for one of you to burst my bubble and tell me this is crap and I can get it for $50 on eBay or something like that! Please tell me what you think!

Thanks[/url]

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like you're ready to rock. Have fun!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

it's a weird package. It usually runs for around E120/$130 here, so you got a deal alright. I once had the amp, and it is truly amazing what sounds it can produce. It retails for E70 here and that isn't a cent too much. Add in the gigbag, cables, guides and whatnot and you can consider the guitar a freebee. :lol:

To be honest, I've seen a few REALLY bad Behringer guitars around but if you got a decent and properly made one you have no right to complain about it, ever. And if you feel ready for a better guitar you can dump yours on Ebay for $40 or so and keep the amp and accessoires.

Burst your bubble? For the price you paid you can't even buy the wood to start building your own. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks Musenfreund & Arjen!

I know reading the reviews it depends on what site you read them...if you read the reviews from the site I gave you (music123.com) the reviews are good. However if you read the reviews from Musician's Friend they aren't so good. Since I am no guitar expert especially electric I can't really tell bad from good...To me it sounds great and the amp iis fantastic...the only thing I guess I should do is change the strings...

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Behringer is well known for making copies of other people's equipment and selling it at ridiculously cheap prices, and that gives them a lousy rep in the industry and a love/hate relationship with the public, so take everything you read about them (both good and bad) with a grain of salt.

All guitars have gems and duds among them. If you played it first and liked it, then that's what matters.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Not a bad deal at all. I bought the amp awhile back alone for $50 just to have a light weight practice amp and it turns out it sounds pretty good with a variety of sounds.

Like Arjen said, throw in all the other accessories and you got the guitar for free.

Enjoy and welcome to GN.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I have never believed the stories about Behringer reverse engineering other people's products (but, who knows?). I really don't think German engineers have any difficulty designing audio equipment. :wink:

And Behringer has come out with MANY original and innovative products of their own that no-one else offers. They sure didn't copy those.

Inexpensive guitars tend to have cheaper hardware. They might not hold up over a long period with heavy use. The machine heads (tuners) might go out of tune a little easier than a more expensive guitar. But heh, for a very modest price you can have your own electric guitar. :D

I have read many reviews on this guitar pack. Everybody raves about the amp. So, for just the great little amp alone you got a good deal.

Congrats and have lots of fun!

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I have never believed the stories about Behringer reverse engineering other people's products (but, who knows?). I really don't think German engineers have any difficulty designing audio equipment.

Behringer actually has had to change a few of their products after being sued. They do make a *few* items themselves but they don't really have any german research facility and sometimes even went as far as totally copying someone else's design (Mackie). I thank Behringer for allowing me to get all my stuff for so little money but their ethics are near disgusting. And then again, the profits innovative companies charge is so outrageous that I don't feel sorry about buying Behringer...

On-topic: Compare the Behringer GM amp line with the Tech21 TM10. The Behringer GM30 is even a physical clone, with the same names, knobs etc.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I thank Behringer for allowing me to get all my stuff for so little money but their ethics are near disgusting.
Perfect example of that love-hate relationship I mentioned... 8)

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

LOL! Kind of like a musical civil war!

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I have never believed the stories about Behringer reverse engineering other people's products (but, who knows?). I really don't think German engineers have any difficulty designing audio equipment. :wink:

They've lost at least 2 court cases I know of, so it's not just gossip. They do it.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@wannabe)
Trusted Member

congrats on your new kit.
I bough the same pack about a year ago and I got a lemon, the neck is bent and it never sounded right. I was pretty new and didn't know what was wrong or how to fix it. Where I lived I was a 9 hr drive away from the nearest guitar shop. I talked to the shop and they wouldn't look at it cause I got a package deal, and i didn't have the cash to pay for a setup.

eventually I met a guy who's been playing for most of his life and he looked at it and tried to adjust the truss rod and such and it still never worked right. So i got a crappy one. The one I played in the shop was much nicer, soo I can't slam them too much.

The amp is pretty nice, but I just didn't like the feel of the guitar as it had incredably high action and when you fretted a note it went out of tune.. I ended up just letting it sit and i would play my acoustic, just to learn the fingerings of the songs i wanted the electric for.

I have since bought a new electric and love it. Play it lots as well as my acoustic.

Anyway, sounds like you got a good one, keep on rockin
Cheers
Brian

I don't understand, I got the guitar, and the beer, the commercial said I'd be a rock star by now...

the reason we fall is so we can learn how to pick ourselves back up

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I can't have that pack cause its RIGHT HANDED :evil:

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Yea...I read mixed reviews on it after I bought it...but it sounds good to me and it plays nice to...I am just waiting for my new strings to come in Dean Markley Blue Steel Electric Guitar Strings. I think those will make a positive difference in the sound...

I checked on the forum over at cyberfret and they seem to despise Behringer...now if money were no object of course I would have gotten a better (and of course higher priced!) guitar...

I just got this to supplement my acoustic guitar...I switch back and forth.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Speaking ill of cheaper brands and drooling over upperclass brands is a sure way to make yourself popular on many fora...

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2