Clear all

What Could Have Happened to My Guitar?

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm sitting around playing and I noticed my guitar went out of tune. So I tune it back up and started strumming and it went out of tune again. So I tune it back up and started strumming and it went out of tune again. etc, etc, etc...It seems that the B string is the culprit and if I'm not mistaken that string has been buzzing the last few times I've played it. This is a PRS Santana SE. It never did this before. I've had it for a couple of years. the only thing different is that I changed the strings to a slightly higher size (.9 to .10) but that was weeks ago and it has been fine (except for the buzzing that I mentioned.)

someone please respond before I have a nervous breakdown.

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Just a thought.........

Maybe the changing method or the peg is slipping.

Tune it back up, strum again and watch the peg on the B string.... see what it does.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

ok. thanks. if i do that and it's the peg slipping, what do i do? tighten it?

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

It may be dead strings also. When was the last time you changed them?

It may more then likely be the way the strings are wrapped around the peg. I use three turns for most strings, or at least try.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

I can't remember offhand what the PRS SE tuners are like in detail, but on modern Fenders (except certain vintage reissue models) there's a tiny crosshead screw in the centre of each tuning button. Tighten that just a little, and slipping should stop - if it is slipping. Don't over tighten, or the tuner won't turn smoothly.

Have a look at the string changing advice from the Fender support site:
Standard keys - In order to reduce string slippage at the tuning key, we recommend that you use a tie technique. This is accomplished by pulling the string through the keyhole, and pulling the string clockwise underneath itself and bringing it back over the top of itself; creating a knot. You will need to leave a bit of slack for the 1st string, so you have at least 2 to 3 winds around the post. As you progress down the line to the 6th string you will reduce the amount of slack and the amount of winds around the keys.

This is the proper way to do it. Anything else risks the string winds slipping as you play, thus putting the string out of tune.

The buzzing may just be due to the heavier gauge (therefore fatter and bigger amplitude of vibration) strings. You may need to raise the action (big screws each side of the bridge if it's a stoptail, or the adjusting screws on the B string saddle if it's a trem model) just enough so's it won't buzz. But get the tuning right first, then see if you need to fiddle with the bridge!

Hope it goes OK - I know that "nervous breakdown" feeling only too well. If the worst comes to the worst - do you have a local PRS agent you could pop the guitar in to?

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I can't remember offhand what the PRS SE tuners are like in detail, but on modern Fenders (except certain vintage reissue models) there's a tiny crosshead screw in the centre of each tuning button. Tighten that just a little, and slipping should stop - if it is slipping. Don't over tighten, or the tuner won't turn smoothly.

Have a look at the string changing advice from the Fender support site:
Standard keys - In order to reduce string slippage at the tuning key, we recommend that you use a tie technique. This is accomplished by pulling the string through the keyhole, and pulling the string clockwise underneath itself and bringing it back over the top of itself; creating a knot. You will need to leave a bit of slack for the 1st string, so you have at least 2 to 3 winds around the post. As you progress down the line to the 6th string you will reduce the amount of slack and the amount of winds around the keys.

This is the proper way to do it. Anything else risks the string winds slipping as you play, thus putting the string out of tune.

The buzzing may just be due to the heavier gauge (therefore fatter and bigger amplitude of vibration) strings. You may need to raise the action (big screws each side of the bridge if it's a stoptail, or the adjusting screws on the B string saddle if it's a trem model) just enough so's it won't buzz. But get the tuning right first, then see if you need to fiddle with the bridge!

Hope it goes OK - I know that "nervous breakdown" feeling only too well. If the worst comes to the worst - do you have a local PRS agent you could pop the guitar in to?

thanks for the detail. There's people here who could fix it if need be but it's a hassle. i'll start with the simplest solution and put the strings on right, then tighten the screw if i have to, and last bring it in to someone.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The buzzing may just be due to the heavier gauge (therefore fatter and bigger amplitude of vibration) strings.

PVT: You have this backwards -- a lighter guage string is more likely to buzz, as it has more amplitude for the same loudness (vibrational energy) as compared to a heavier string under greater tension (to be tuned to the same note). For example, jazz guitars with very heavy strings can be set up with extremely low action because of the lower vibrational amplitude of the heavy strings.

PTK: A string slipping on the post is one reason for tuning instability. But if the instability is coupled with a tendency to buzz, I would suspect a failing string with a weak spot that is stretching. Such a weak spot will also lead to altered vibrational characteristics that may cause buzzing, as well as intonation issues.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

A string slipping on the post is one reason for tuning instability. But if the instability is coupled with a tendency to buzz, I would suspect a failing string with a weak spot that is stretching. Such a weak spot will also lead to altered vibrational characteristics that may cause buzzing, as well as intonation issues.

That's deep!

Wouldn't a spring cause more than just a one string issue?

Hey! I'm a newbie just like everyone else! :D

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

A string slipping on the post is one reason for tuning instability. But if the instability is coupled with a tendency to buzz, I would suspect a failing string with a weak spot that is stretching. Such a weak spot will also lead to altered vibrational characteristics that may cause buzzing, as well as intonation issues.

That's deep!

Wouldn't a spring cause more than just a one string issue?

Hey! I'm a newbie just like everyone else! :D

Had to re-read my post to make sure I typed it correctly: Weak spot in a string not a spring! In PTK's case, probably a wear spot or weakening at a fret or at the bridge on the B string.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

LMAO!!!

Sorry! :oops:

I guess I should be the one that re-reads.... lol!

ReplyQuote
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member

sorry if some one already said this but you need to change ye strings every 6 months...GIT SNAKE BIT.

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

He said he changed them weeks ago...I don't know how many weeks ago though...

lol Mike. I read his post, then yours, and then I re-read his 3 times. Blew my mind.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

The buzzing may just be due to the heavier gauge (therefore fatter and bigger amplitude of vibration) strings.

PVT: You have this backwards -- a lighter guage string is more likely to buzz, as it has more amplitude for the same loudness (vibrational energy) as compared to a heavier string under greater tension (to be tuned to the same note). For example, jazz guitars with very heavy strings can be set up with extremely low action because of the lower vibrational amplitude of the heavy strings.

OK thanks Gnease - that would make sense - I hadn't thought of it like that. I'd forgotten jazz boxes, and was thinking of acoustics, I guess, with their (generally) much higher action.

ReplyQuote