Skip to content
What do you do with...

Notifications
Clear all

What do you do with the chords as written here?

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

What am I not getting? :?

Yesterday

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

are you referring to the red numbers? that is the bass line. finger picking, I assume.
the song is easy. simple chords. am I missing?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The chord names above the tab. Sorry, I wasn't clear, I think. The chord names don't correspond to the tab?

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

They actually do. The chords are the full chord names for the partial chords being used.

When people are writing the tab out (or lifting it from another source) they tend to put chord names in even if you're not playing the full chord, you're just striking certain strings (notes) of the chord. This doesn't mean you can't be fingering the full chord, if fact it's better for beginners to do so because (1) it's good practice for switching between chords and (2) if you happen to miss the tabbed strings it will still sound fine.

For more on this, see this discussion:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=43603

Hope this helps. You can also check out the lesson on Yesterday on the Intermediate Songs page as well for more on this.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Red notes with the thumb, other notes with the index, middle and ring fingers works for me - lots of scope there to do p-i-m-a runs across the strings, especially in the B7sus - B7 - Em section

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

They actually do. The chords are the full chord names for the partial chords being used.

When people are writing the tab out (or lifting it from another source) they tend to put chord names in even if you're not playing the full chord, you're just striking certain strings (notes) of the chord. This doesn't mean you can't be fingering the full chord, if fact it's better for beginners to do so because (1) it's good practice for switching between chords and (2) if you happen to miss the tabbed strings it will still sound fine.

For more on this, see this discussion:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=43603

Hope this helps. You can also check out the lesson on Yesterday on the Intermediate Songs page as well for more on this.

Peace

Ohhh... OK... yes, I have seen that before. In a Siggi Mertens Youtube video he does House of the Rising Sun finger style, forms the E maj, but doesn't use all the notes of it. I'll read the link you gave and look at the lesson. And I already know most of those chords in this version. F#m could be a barre across the strings @ fret 2; and I see that B7 is an inversion (just cheated and looked up in http://www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php ); B7sus4 and Am6 are the only ones I have not used. Must try. Dang, what would I do without you guys!? :wink: Thanks. :D

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

In a Siggi Mertens Youtube video he does House of the Rising Sun finger style, forms the E maj, but doesn't use all the notes of it.

Actually, he does.

Chords are made up of a specific set of notes... E major is made up of the notes E, G#, and B. Siggi is fingering a "full" E chord, but picking only strings 6, 3, 2, and 1 - so he's playing E, G#, B, and E. Since he's using all the notes required for an E chord, he's playing an E chord.

That brings up the concept of "doubling". If you play "extra copies" of any notes, they have absolutely no effect on the chord name. Play 022100 and that's an E chord - but so is xxx100!

In something like what Siggi's doing, he really doesn't need to fret the "whole" (i.e. 6 string) E chord. He could get the same sound using just his first finger. But most fingerstlye guitarists will grab the "whole" chord for something like that, because a) it's easy enough, and you're used to doing it, and b) it helps you out if you hit the wrong string - if your thumb missed the sixth string and hit the fifth instead, grabbing a "whole" E means you'll play a chord tone (B) instead of a note that isn't in an E chord (A).

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

In a Siggi Mertens Youtube video he does House of the Rising Sun finger style, forms the E maj, but doesn't use all the notes of it.

Actually, he does.

Chords are made up of a specific set of notes... E major is made up of the notes E, G#, and B. Siggi is fingering a "full" E chord, but picking only strings 6, 3, 2, and 1 - so he's playing E, G#, B, and E. Since he's using all the notes required for an E chord, he's playing an E chord.

That brings up the concept of "doubling". If you play "extra copies" of any notes, they have absolutely no effect on the chord name. Play 022100 and that's an E chord - but so is xxx100!

In something like what Siggi's doing, he really doesn't need to fret the "whole" (i.e. 6 string) E chord. He could get the same sound using just his first finger. But most fingerstlye guitarists will grab the "whole" chord for something like that, because a) it's easy enough, and you're used to doing it, and b) it helps you out if you hit the wrong string - if your thumb missed the sixth string and hit the fifth instead, grabbing a "whole" E means you'll play a chord tone (B) instead of a note that isn't in an E chord (A).

Reading your explanation and my chord chart (I admit I need visuals :oops: ) I see it now how he plays the chord, and how that relates to my copy of Yesterday. Thanks. :D

ReplyQuote