What do you think o...

Notifications
Clear all

What do you think of these books?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I saw these on the internet when I was looking for some strumming patterns...Tab Books

The one I was interested in was 90's Rock for Easy Guitar and The Classic Rock Book.

Thanks

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

If these are the same format as the easy guitar books I have.
There will be 10 strumming patterns and 10 picking patterns at the front of the book, each song will have a number for strumming and for picking.
The TAB and notation will have mostly melody lines but intro, bridge and stuff like that will be there. Personally I have found the TAB to be useless on most songs but the strumming patterns allow you to play most songs fairly easy.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm not a fan at all of the easy books.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Many times these books turn out to be a disappointment. What is easy for some can be difficult for others and vise versa. Good advertising always gets our attention.

Some things are far removed from the original version. For example, they have 'Freebird' listed in the easy acoustic version of their books. Without the electric slide, what is this song? Probably unrecognizable.

Songs like Freebird and Stairway to heaven are long songs, a very long time to master and would do little to help us beginners with our playing.

On the other side, their prices are good and I have never bought anything that didn't teach me something I didn't know or couldn't do before. I got something out of everything I have ever bought, be it a book or DVD or CD. We can always sell what we no longer need on ebay to recover some money and put the material back out there for others to benefit from.

There is so much out there that promises to help us play well it is overwhelming. Some are better than others. Let us know if these books help you and how.

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote