What does Guitar (capo 3) mean?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
15.2 K Views
(@medarrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have this book Im using, and its guitar Tabs.
What does that mean to do?

Thanks

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Probably - without further instructions - to use standard tuning and put a capo on the guitar between the 2nd and 3rd frets. Then if the tab shows, for example, E G and A chords, you'd play them the way you normally would, but counting the capo as the nut, the fourth fret as the first, etc. This means that when you play an E chord, you'll actually hear a G chord - play a G chord, you'll hear Bb, and play an A chord and you'll hear C.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Put a capo across the 3rd fret of the guitar neck. If you don't know what a capo is, look here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capo

the capo is used to change the tuning of a guitar without actually re-tuning it using the tuning pegs. This is done to make a song easier to play, or to make the music fit the vocal range of the singer, such as James Blunt, who's guitarists use capos high up the neck to match his high voice.

If you don't have a capo, it is still possible to play the song but it will mean using barre chords and possibly moving around the neck much more than you would need to with the capo, as you would be playing open chords instead of barres.

Personally, I couldn't live without my capo - I use it so much! :lol:

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote