Clear all

what key is it in??????

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 uber
(@uber)
Topic starter  

Hello can i get some help on how to figure out what key something is in my videos say " oh this is in the key of D" what makes it in the key of D or C or A or anyother key?? How do i play something in a key???
I play bass by the way!!!!!!!!!!!

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

The notes used in a tune, as well as the note of the scale it centers around, determine the key. A song in the key of C major uses mostly notes from the C major scale. The notes in the A minor scale (natural minor) are the same as the notes in the C major scale, but a song in C major would treat C as the root rather than A. It would sound "happier" to the ear, since it's a major scale. You play in a key by using mostly notes from that key. The specific notes to play are determined by the structure of the song and your discretion.

ReplyQuote
 uber
(@uber)
Topic starter  

so basicly ur saying its not something that u can just come up with off the top of ur head? you have to write it down??? Also what is a bass clef and a treble clef
thanks big time dude
uber :o

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

They are the names for the staves (singular: staff) on which standard notation is written. Each staff consists of 5 lines, separated by 4 spaces - so each one covers a range of 9 whole tones.

Clef is French for key. So "treble key" and "bass key", there's also a third, who's name I can't remember at the moment (Baritone?).

The lowest note on the treble clef (the bottom line) is E above middle C - so middle C is on a ledger line two whole notes below the treble clef. A ledger line is a short line that extends the range of a staff.

The highest note on the bass clef (top line) is A below middle C. So middle C is on a ledger line two notes above the bass clef.
|-----------------
|-----------------
|----------------- Treble Clef
|-----------------
|-----------------
-C- Middle C
|-----------------
|-----------------
|----------------- Bass Clef
|-----------------
|-----------------

Together they form the "Grand Staff"

If you have a look through the "Theory" forum, there are quite a few threads that go into how you can determine the key of a piece of music.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The third clef is the 'C' clef (although there is also a baritone clef that's pretty rare).

Each clef fixes the location of one note on the staff... the G clef places the G note on whatever line the lower curly part wraps around - that's usually the second line from the bottom, in which case it's called the treble clef. The F clef places the F note between the two 'dots' on the right side of the clef - that's usually the second line from the top, in which case it's called the bass clef. The last one, the C clef, places the C note in the center of the clef.

In theory, all these clefs are moveable up and down the staff.... move the F clef down one line (to place F in the center of the staff) and it's called the baritone clef; the C clef can be called the alto, tenor, soprano, or mezzo-soprano clef depending on where it's placed.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 uber
(@uber)
Topic starter  

thanks guys u have been a GREAT help!!!!!!1

ReplyQuote