Clear all

What's a beginner guitar?

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Pardon my rant. What's a beginner guitar? Imo there is no such thing (with maybe the exception of a child model). Before I got my first guitar I was given some good advise, which I promptly ignored. That advise was “don't buy a cheap guitar, it wont play or sound right and might fall apart. Buy a good instrument you'll be much happier and it will be easier to learn on.” I wish I had taken that advise! After I spent $50 more getting the setup adjusted on my all laminated acoustic nightmare. I found out it played a little better, sounded OK, but had no volume. My logic in buying the cheap model was, if I don't like playing I won't have much money invested in it. Now that I look back, that sounds and was really dumb. To make a long story short I ended up buying another guitar. This time it was a good instrument and I've been very pleased with it and my progress in playing. I'm hoping this will give those of you looking to learn guitar some direction. I hope someone learns from my mistake. Buy the best guitar you can afford, it will pay off in the long run. Thanks for your time. Feliz Navidad.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It's the guitar a beginner owns.

But just to make a point, you wouldn't suggest an absolute newbie guitarist should plunk down the cash for an Olson or a Ryan, or even a top of the line Martin would you?

So really the question is "what's the least expensive guitar I can figure out whether I have the desire to play guitar on, and not waste much money if I don't, but not waste any money if I do?

I think you need to be in about the $250 dollar range to achieve that balance.

So I agree with you, I think.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Good point Nick, I'd say there are several guitar for under $500 that would be good instruments, $250 might be pushing the lower limit. For under $500 I would make sure the dealer or company guaranteed it was setup correctly. My point is if you can afford a $500 guitar, don't buy a $100 just to save money or just because your not sure you'll enjoy playing. If the guitar you buy is hard to play or doesn't sound good and your worried if you'll like playing. It can become a self fullfilling prophecy.

Tim Madsen

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

absolutely....I probably should have said: "At least $250"

Maybe we should put together a recommended list for the FAQ page.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Buying supercheap guitars is false economy.

While it's not a 100% rule, a more expensive guitar generally has a proportionally better resale value, so even if you do quit there's less realized loss.

I always encourage newer players to get the very best they can, to take their spending limit and go over it by a little, no one ever regrets getting something " too good".

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

When I first started guitar I went into my ocal music store, and they were pushing a brand- I think it was called Brentwood. It's from Asia- I think taiwan but can't recall. Anyhow, they were saying it was a good value, they started at $200. I didn't play it (I was very green and just looking at the time). Anyhow I decided to delay purchasing an acoustic and so I passed on it.

I was just wondering if anyone else had come across these Brentwoods (I hope I have the right brand name) and if so, are they indeed any decent? If so it might be a good option for a beginner on a budget.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Maybe we should put together a recommended list for the FAQ page.

That's a great idea!

Tim Madsen

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Undercat is dead on with the 'less realized loss' in a quality instrument. If you buy a good guitar used, and decide not to pursue it.... you might even find it's appreciated in value.

$300 spent on a used guitar should get you something with an original retail in the $700 range. As long as you don't damage it, you should get at least $250-300 back when you sell it... a $150 starter pack guitar might bring $50 at a garage sale, maybe less.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I kind of have mixed feelings about a recommend list.
I say this because I have seen and heard how 2 different guitars, same model, can be completely different.
Guitars are made of wood and no 2 pieces of wood are exactly the same.
I am a firm believer in try before you buy.
On the other hand some models have a track record of quality where as others are for the most part garbage.
A recommend list should also include what other things a beginner should have, such as what type of case? Tuner? Strings? Metronome? Pics? Maybe even instruction books?

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I think the forum should just stick to the "try it and find out" mantra that we've been using. I think it's the best advice, particularly because quality most often has a wider variance in the lower priced entry level equipment. Saying X starter pack, amp, or guitar will be good for starting... Eh, I dunno. We might do one if we specifically include somthing about the try it and find out philosophy, make it really clear in big red letters or somthing. :)

As far as what to spend on a first instrument, that's entirely up to the person who wants to start. If they don't want to, or simply can't afford to invest more in it they should simply get the best they can. But, they shouldn't feel bad about spending x dollars on it later, either.

I think a lot of people who aren't in the guitar "world" can't understand why guitars can be so expensive to begin with. They are, after all based around 70 year old electrical technology screwed into a hunk of painted wood. There's obviously more to them than that, but you get the idea...

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote