Notifications
Clear all

What's so great about Classical Gas?

16 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@g-wiggah)
Topic starter  

People get praised for succeeding in playing classical gas and I would like to know what that means.

I think i've heard of the song before but is it really difficult? how can i learn?

(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

honestly, being a classical guitarist, I don't find Classical Gas very difficult, but it is a standard for classical students, it was written by Mason Williams, but his original recording was with a poorly orchestrated brass section, so I suggest you find a guitar instrumental of it. But really, you don't need to learn it, there many more songs that are more difficult than it.

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
 bltc
(@bltc)
Trusted Member

It's nothing great. But it sure sounds difficult to play. It's also one of those songs that everyone recognizes and lovea to play too.

I was playing it one day when I was getting my carpet installed. One of the workers putting in the carpet said, "Hey that's Classical Gas! I used to love playing that song."

ReplyQuote
(@blackenedanger)
Trusted Member

Man I haven't thought about that song in AGES!!!

Never learned on guitar.

But I was a VERY good french horn player, I'm sure I still am if I picked one up and practiced a little, and in my middle school band years ago we played that song.

I liked it. Was before I ever got into the metal scene though.

It wasn't too tough, but that was also the French Horn Bflat arrangement, with the guitar it's probably harder.

Ya know. I think I'll save up and get me a french horn. I kind of miss playing it sometimes, though my attention revolves around my guitar now.

"Into ruin, I am sinking, hostage of this nameless feeling!" - MetallicA

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

I play brass too, but I hate my tuba. It is one hefty mother.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I'll take that tuba -- it can keep my french horn company.

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

I suppose if you are an "expert" classical guitar player (which Ive never seen) classical gas is nothing special. Granted you can learn it in an afternoon...especially if you use a tab....but it sounds really nice and to a beginner, it is very satisfying to complete it. I think before we start trashing on the simplicity of something we should look at what WE have written in comparison...I doubt many of us have original compositions that are half the standard as Classical Gas.

I personally like it, and play it every now and then when im thinking about other things or procrastinating my practice.

Kido

It wont make you a guitar super-hero, but it is a great solo-stand alone acoustic peice I reccomend you learn it.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yeah, idk. its impressive to me. I love the sound of it as well...complex doesnt mean better.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Classical Gas is a starting point - for most people it's the first piece they hear on a Classical Guitar. It's popular with players because it was a chart hit in the 1960's, and that's enough to make it "non-"classical music. Don't be fooled though - it's full of enough tempo and emphasis shifts to keep it out of the realms of the beginner.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I seem to get electric GAS, semi-acoustic GAS, amp GAS and effects GAS, but as yet, I've never had classical GAS. 8) 8) 8)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@artistx13)
Estimable Member

eh..thats the song I started learning before I broke my G string (the guitar one....before anyone gets any ideas =P) and I soon as I get some money im gonna continue to learn it. Its a nice peice from what I learned of it I and really enjoy listenin to it.

"I named my son Marshall, yeah I named him after the amp. Of course that wasnt my first choice, I was gonna name him Peavy but my wife didnt like it."- Ron "Tater Salad" White

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Anyone have a good tab for this gem?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

Hey

for the tab go to ........

http://www.mysongbook.com

type Classical Gas in the search index box.

Should bring up a few copies. In fact the Eric Clapton version was the one tab that got me started using GP4.

Good luck

Kido

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

i dont think thats really eric clapton...

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 bltc
(@bltc)
Trusted Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but this song was originally played by Mason Williams, no?

Its kind of a shame what Kazaa did to Williams' song.
But nonetheless, I'm sure made having the song labeled as a Clapton song made the song much more popular.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2