Clear all

Need help on guitar/amp selection

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@intergalactic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi again everyone I have been looking at electric guitars and amps but I don't really know what I'm looking for. I don't know wich are bad or good. I need something to start playing with but will probably be able to get better stuff when christmas rolls around so I don't need top quality stuff but don't want to waste money on something that I will regret buying. I need suggestions on guitars/amps that are good to start with.

Ps. Judas Priest rules :wink:

(@longdave)
Trusted Member

:)

What is your budget?

ReplyQuote
(@intergalactic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm not exactly sure I have to ask my mom :( I have no money of my own :? probably around $200-$300

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

And what type of music would you like to play?

It's a pretty limited budget as far as the good stuff is concerned, but a Behringer amp, like a GM110 ($110) or a GM108 ($60) would make a fine first practice amp for low cost.

Then you might want to consider a respected copy producer like Rondomusic.com, that has an assortment of guitar styles for $100-300.
Squire and Epiphone make some lower priced models in this range, but watch the quality which can vary widely from guitar to guitar among these brands.
For $350, you could consider a low end Fender Telecaster or Stratocaster Standard, which are respectable instruments. I play a Standard Telecaster (poorly) and it is a fine instrument that I might well play for the rest of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@intergalactic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Metal :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

I was going to recommend this guitar/amp pack for $110, to get you started, but if it's metal...
Then you probably want to go for a dual humbucker guitar, like this or this or maybe something like an Ibanez RG series.
I'm really out of my league with metal, sorry. There's other people that can help you though.
The amps I suggested might not be the greatest for metal, but they would be good for practicing, and you would be able to get metal sounds out of them with a pedal. You don't want to practice with a lot of distortion, though, or you wont hear your mistakes.

ReplyQuote
(@intergalactic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I like that valkyrie beautiful :D

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Yeah, I've always had an affection for SG style guitars, and I own one myself. I find them really comfortable to play. They sound a lot like Les Pauls (to me anyway, I don't know much about Les Pauls) but they weigh less. They also look really nice in red :D, giving me a excuse to own a bright red guitar.
You just have to be careful not to drop them because the headstock angles back and the guitar is thin so it lands right on the top of the head and can snap the neck if it hits the ground hard. So buy a guitar stand and use it.
They can also be a bit neck heavy, so a good strap can help keep them from tending to point toward the floor on you.
I associate them with metal, because Toni Iommi from Black Sabbath plays one, but I use mine mostly for blues (mine has a pretty nice midrangey growl with some distortion) and sometimes for surf rhythm (which it is really too warm sounding for because of the humbuckers, but it has a whammy bar and it works if it has to).

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If I were you I would have no problem chosing:

Dean Evo XM. $99, all mahony, dual humbuckers.
Behringer GM108. $60, very nice distortion for it's priceclass.

Add a tuner, a chord, some picks and an extra set of strings, and you're on you way for $180 or so.

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Good suggestion, Arjen.
And I strongly second the tuner.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

You can't go wrong with the Behringer GM108 as a practice amp. I just picked one up last week to replace my ailing practice amp and it is great for it's size especially with 15 watts and the analog modeling.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

wahts your buget gonna be like after christmas?

MAybe you should hold off, see if you can borrow a friends guitar....that way you don't buy a guitar, and replace it in 2 months or whatever..christmas aint that far away.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@intergalactic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Sorry guys been having some problems with my internet connection. None of my friends play guitar except for one and I'm not sure but I think he moved away. I keep comng back to this guitar I don't know what it is but I love the way it looks :) http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=850849%7C940498&PRID=1386940 Theres two choices of pickups but wich are better?

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Not better, just different.
For metal, you probably want to go with the humbuckers. They will give a strong, somewhat compressed, easily distorted sound typical for metal (from what I've heard, don't play metal myself). They are good for crunchy power chords and can be used for a warm clean rhythm or a powerful distorted lead.
The P90's are more what I would favour, but that is because they are nice for an overdriven sound (think milder distortion, like blues or classic rock that kind of starts kind of clean, but a bit warm, but ends in a bit of distortion). They are nice for a biting, bright lead. They are associated with Surf music and Elvis Costello. I don't know how well they go into outright distortion. They are a bit of quirky and old fashioned pickup that has some regained popularity of late.
You should email RondoMusic if you have specific questions about these two guitars. Tell them what you want and ask them what they would recommend. Kurt at Rondo is famous for his customer service and is fast and friendly with email questions.

ReplyQuote