Clear all

When is the right time to buy a 2nd guitar

31 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have been playing guitar for about a year. I started with a loaner acoustic from my dad. About 3 months ago I bought an eletric for myself. Its a squire telecaster.

What are reasons to buy a new (better) guitar? (I am looking a bit into the future, but still)

(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

If you have an electric now a good reason for buying another guitar is to get an acoustic. If you have an electric and and acoustic a good reason to buy another is so you have a 12 string. If you have all 3 of those a good reason to buy is so you can have a second electric to keep in an open tuning. And so on and so forth

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

When is the right time to buy a 2nd guitar
Well, I thought the answer was obvious. As soon as you want right after you buy the first and shortly before buying the 3rd. Thats the only time you can.

All kidding aside, if money is not the issue then having a variety of guitars that suit different music is a good idea. Also, IMHO switching between guitars also helps hone different skills quicker because it makes you concentrate more.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@aaronj)
Eminent Member

Not only that, but guitars are just cool in their own right. Hang some up on the wall instead of pictures, they are just as much a piece of art.

So, I say, get as many guitars as you can while you can :shock: :lol:

Get Spotted Now!
www.InstantSpot.com

AJLCOM

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the suggestions.

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

i agree with aaron, there is no such thig as to many guitars . 8)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

i agree with aaron, there is no such thig as to many guitars . 8)
I am sure you folks remember the old joke.

How many guitars does a guitar player need? One more.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

thats what i'm talking about nils, you know i'm thinking about going and getting an epi sg to go along with my epi lp :twisted:

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

thats what i'm talking about nils, you know i'm thinking about going and getting an epi sg to go along with my epi lp :twisted:I know the feeling. I am looking to replace one of my Epi's with a strat or Tele one of these days soon. I am also beginning to like the SG so who knows where I will go with that.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

nils my epi lp looks like yours but i got the one with 3 pick ups,ala frampton :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I don't remember when I only had two, but I can tell you:

The right time for number 10 is after accepting the job offer for your second job so you can pay off the previous nine still on your credit card.

Number 11 is after the wife has taken the kids and left you and you notice you now have an empty room to fill.

Number 12 is after you've attended the court ordered therapy for being obsessive compulsive and you notice the therapist is wearing a fender t-shirt. "Dude, you don't have a problem. Let's get together and jam."

Number 13 is after you tell the wife the story of the therapist in the Fender t-shirt and she tells you "that's it, we are never coming back". Then you pack her stuff in boxes, the movers get it and the empty space cries out to you to be filled

Number 14? Well 13 is just an unlucky number, bad mojo.

Number 15? Come on, I mean you did just have the temperature controlled/humidity controlled room built. Wouldn't it be a waste not to keep it fully stocked?

After about 15 you just stop counting. Denial is easier that way.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I was channel surfing through some entertainment tabloid show and Keifer Sutherland was on. This dude had a room in his mansion FILLED with guitars. He probably had 30 guitars in a custom rack storage system and hanging on the walls.

Makes you wish you were rich.

Here's a picture:

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Really really jealous of Kiefer Sutherland...don't get me wrong, I like the guy...I LOOOOOVE "24".....but that looks like a really nice collection....

RIGHT....on my way out to buy number 8......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

What are reasons to buy a new (better) guitar? (I am looking a bit into the future, but still)

Because you have the money.

If you don't, then don't. If you do, then do.

The more difficult question is when should you get rid of a guitar.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

That is sad but true.

The trick is to be happy with what you've got.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3