Notifications
Clear all

When is the right time to buy a 2nd guitar

31 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

^ :shock: Makes me want to "accidentally" hire somebody to steal them for me.... :lol: I just bought me 2nd, a nice strat copy... two piece alder body, Canadian maple neck, etc.. for 200 bucks... 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

lol, Nice post Nick.

A good reason for getting a new guitar, is when you feel your current guitar is limiting you. Dead frets, uncomfortable neck, uncomfortable body shape, you don't like its looks...You want a double cut away instead of a single cut away...You want a sound that appeals to you more...

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

And in the case of electrics we also can't forget the role of the amplifier.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

When I started to play guitar again last December I had just one guitar (after 14 years), then I got an Epiphone LP for Christmas. Love it. Now I have 5 guitars (A Gibson Flying V Faded is my favorite), well 6. One is in pieces. :D

It's great to have different guitars to choose when playing. Makes all the more fun.

P.S. I'm still a beginner :D

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

My wife keeps telling me I can't buy any more guitars. But she loves the sound of the two I've acquired since she first informed me I had no more room for any... so I guess she doesn't mean it :)

Anyway, the best time for me to add to the collection is between 11am and about 2pm on a weekday - the kids are in school, and you can get the full attention of the sales staff if you need it.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Okay, I'm adding that one to the list....

I don't really remember all the way back to only having two, but this may help.

"When to buy guitar number....."

#2. Right after you buy the first and shortly before buying the 3rd

#3. Between 11am and about 2pm on a weekday - the kids are in school, and you can get the full attention of the sales staff if you need it.

#4. Anytime after performing a major remodeling of a bathroom or kitchen. Forgiveness of your minor transgression is assured.

#5. When you get your Income Tax refund.

#6. When you get your Christmas bonus. "Hey, I don't work this hard for nothing."

#7. Your first gig. It would be irresponsible of you not to have a backup and numbers one through six are too nice to just use as backups.

#8. When Music123 or Guitar Centar has a big sale. Think of all the money you saved by acting now. I mean that's enough money to take the wife and kids on vacation. Sometime between the second and third Island of the cruise your wife will talk to you again.

#9. See number 3. Again between 11 and 2 on a weekday, that way you can sneak it back into the house. Deceit is easier than getting forgiveness.

#10. As soon as the money in your secret secondary direct deposit account reaches the purchase price.

#11. The right time for number 11 is after accepting the job offer for your second job so you can pay off the previous nine still on your credit card.

#12. Number 12 is after the wife has taken the kids and left you and you notice you now have an empty room to fill.

#13. Number 13 is after you've attended the court ordered marital therapy for being obsessive compulsive and you notice the therapist is wearing a fender t-shirt. After an hour of talking about the merits of Tusq vs. bone he says: "Dude, you don't have a problem. Let's get together and jam."

#14. Number 14? Well 13 is just an unlucky number, bad mojo.

#15. Number 15 is after you tell the wife the story of the therapist in the Fender t-shirt and she tells you "that's it, we are never coming back". Then you pack her stuff in boxes, the movers get it and the empty space cries out to you to be filled

#16. Number 16? Come on, I mean you did just have the temperature controlled/humidity controlled room built. Wouldn't it be a waste not to keep it fully stocked?

After about 16 you just stop counting. Denial is easier that way.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well, it's illegal to have 10 wives in this country, but you can have as many guitars as you want.

Guitars and women are very similar. Beautiful curves. They make you feel good. They cost a lot of money.

But a guitar will never rip your heart out of your chest and then stomp on it laughing hysterically! :D

But let's face it Nick. You are just plain sick. Sick, Sick, Sick.

And yes, I am totally jealous of you! 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

you don't like its looks

Does that have anything to do with sound or playibility? I think that would be an extremely small factor in buying a guitar IMO, except of course for Daisy guitars.... :lol:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Guitars and women are very similar. Beautiful curves. They make you feel good. They cost a lot of money.

:lol:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Wow, I had no idea that keifer was a guitarist. A Gibson man, no less, which is never a bad thing... 8)

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I was channel surfing through some entertainment tabloid show and Keifer Sutherland was on. This dude had a room in his mansion FILLED with guitars. He probably had 30 guitars in a custom rack storage system and hanging on the walls.

Makes you wish you were rich.

Here's a picture:

!He has a doubleneck SG!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

Wow undercat..thats a beautiful guitar!!

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Wow, I had no idea that keifer was a guitarist. A Gibson man, no less, which is never a bad thing... 8)

Neither did I but, you would think with all that money and guitars, he would be able to afford some shoes. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Neither did I but, you would think with all that money and guitars, he would be able to afford some shoes. :lol:
:lol:

ReplyQuote
(@phingerboard)
Trusted Member

"When is the right time to buy a 2nd guitar"

When you see one you want, and your first thought relates either to the cost, or whether you even need it, then it's not time to buy one.

When your first thought is "Where will I put this one?", it's time to buy.

Best Guitar Sites | Guitar Players Lick Better

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3