Skip to content
which chords are Am...

Notifications
Clear all

which chords are Am and Em keys made of?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

hello all

just a quick question: since I'm trying to write a small metal song in Iron Maiden-style, I'd like to know by which chords Em and Am keys are made of.

i.e. i'm trying the following progression

E5/D5/B5/C5-D5/

and

B5-C5-D5/E5-D5-B5

and they seem to work acceptably (i guess they're all in the Em key) but what other chords could I use to develop the song?

Thanks for any help

Matteo

(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

hello all

just a quick question: since I'm trying to write a small metal song in Iron Maiden-style, I'd like to know by which chords Em and Am keys are made of.

Minor keys are more complex than major keys because we have the harmonic and melodic minors, not to mention Dorian and even Phrygian variants.

The basic natural minor is:
Natural minor im iidim bIIImaj ivmin vmin bVImaj bVIImaj
--------------------------------------------------------------
A minor Am Bdim C Dm Em F G
E minor Em F#dim G Am Bm C D
--------------------------------------------------------------

The most common change is using a major or dom7 chord on the fifth degree, ie use E or E7 in A minor and a B or B7 in E minor. This is the harmonic minor and gives a stronger resolution back to the i.

In the melodic minor (or Dorian) one could also use a major chord on the fourth degree, ie use D instead of D minor in A.
i.e. i'm trying the following progression

E5/D5/B5/C5-D5/

and

B5-C5-D5/E5-D5-B5

and they seem to work acceptably (i guess they're all in the Em key) but what other chords could I use to develop the song?

This points towards E minor as the key. Other chords you might use are Am (or A5) and G (or G5).

You could also use an F#dim (or F#m or F#5, especially before a B.

On the other hand, maybe the song doesn't need more chords? Maybe it just needs a better melody? Or a better riff? Or a different rhythm?

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

hi mate

first of all thanks a lot for your kind explanations: they're really enlightning! Regarding the song, of course you're right: it lacks a lot of things! At the moment I have only a chord progression to be use as arpeggiated intro, a small riff and another progression which could be the verse. Being in Maiden style, each part is played with a different rhythm, alternating between 12/8 and 4/4 and using the trademark gallop! I need everything else: the bridge, the chours and most important of all the melody!!! I needed to know about chords because for the bridge I'd like to use a different progression not based upon E, B, C, D. Anyway, my plan is to work around it for a few days, then play it to a friend of mine who can give me an hand to develop it a bit better.

Also knowing the chords of Am key I could try to put down a small power-ballad!

thanks a lot again

Matteo

ReplyQuote