Clear all

Which finger which fret?

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sansmerci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thus far everything I've played has been at the bottom of the neck (near the head), I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a 'one finger one fret' rule meaning that the index finger plays the first fret, middle the second fret and so on down to the pinky playing the fourth fret.

My teacher's just given me a piece to try that starts on the tenth fret - does this mean, therefore, that the tenth fret is played with the index finger and so on? What happens when I have to go down the neck from tenth to eighth fret? Just slide my fingers up there I've been guessing. (I'm sure I was told this in my lesson but there was so much to take in that I've forgotten what was said) :?

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Yup, you got it! That's the "Sunshine of Your Love" tab you spoke of isn't it. :mrgreen:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The "one finger per fret" rule is called the "position" - that's the fret your first finger gets. So if you're in 10th position, the middle finger gets the 11th, the ring finger the 12th, and the little finger the 13th.

You'll find that depending on what key you're in and what position you're using, there may be one or more notes you need that aren't in the position... so a position really covers six frets: the four main ones, plus one fret lower (which you'll stretch for using your first finger) and one fret higher (where you stretch with your pinky)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@sansmerci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yup, you got it! That's the "Sunshine of Your Love" tab you spoke of isn't it. :mrgreen:

Yeah that's the piece :D

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Interesting - my (RGT Grade 1 exam) score for Sunshine suggests that Sansmerci's hand should be at the 8th position and the opening note played atthe 10th with the ring finger; the rest of that riff then fitting in a standard pentatonic shape.

Always fascinating to see how other teachers teach a piece of music.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------12--12---10---12--------------------------------------------------------
------------------------12--11--10------b8------------------------------------
------------------------------------10------10--------------------------------
It's getting near dawn.....
This version?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I get it

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@sansmerci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Interesting - my (RGT Grade 1 exam) score for Sunshine suggests that Sansmerci's hand should be at the 8th position and the opening note played atthe 10th with the ring finger; the rest of that riff then fitting in a standard pentatonic shape.

Always fascinating to see how other teachers teach a piece of music.

Not sure where my teacher got the copy of the music from - he just gave me a couple of photocopied sheets and wrote a couple of things on it to help me out with it, like a couple of changes to some chords later on towards the end of the piece. I've only been working on the first couple of lines thus far, feeling challenged by doing a lot of new things (reading tab, new chords etc etc). Maybe I'm odd, my two favourite types of music are rock ... and folk, so sometimes we look at one of those genres and sometimes the other :)

ReplyQuote