Skip to content
Which guitar magazi...

Notifications
Clear all

Which guitar magazine would you suggest?

13 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@wtheriault49)
Topic starter  

For a beginner to intermediate player, which guitar magazine would you suggest?

(@cerberus)
Estimable Member

Well guitar player and guitar world are two of the most popular ones probably. However, if you're willing to shell out a little extra, consider Total Guitar. It's a British magazine, so it's more expensive here; but its very good and I think it usually comes with an instructional CD.

I pity the fool, but also suggest ways he might better himself.

ReplyQuote
(@tahitiijack)
Eminent Member

Guitar Player covers just about every type of playing. If you are an acoustic player then Acoustic Guitar and Guitar World Acoustic are the ones you want. There is a new one for beginners and intermediats called Play Guitar.

Happy Sunsets!

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I have to suggest Guitar Legends. Its a pretty cool magazine that has an entire issue dedicated to a band or artist. I have two of them so far and it's got alot of interesting articles on the selected band, as well as lessons by the guitarist and some music. I have only got 2 issues (one with Queen and the other one with The Doors) and I enjoy it, the only problem is that i'm not sure if they come out with new issues every month. I also get Guitar One but I'm really getting disappointed with their newest issues, which seem to focus on articles on jazz or shred (neither of which i'm very interested in).

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

I checked out Acoustic Guitar at the library, i didn't get much from it. But it might be me!

:)

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

Well guitar player and guitar world are two of the most popular ones probably. However, if you're willing to shell out a little extra, consider Total Guitar. It's a British magazine, so it's more expensive here; but its very good and I think it usually comes with an instructional CD.

I would also recommend Total Guitar even if it's expensive. It's got a lot of tabs to popular songs and explains all the tricky parts for a beginner. It also explains some theory behind the songs. There's also examples of bending, and tapping and so on. The December Issue even came with a bonus CD and some scales to improvise with.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Total Guitar and Guitar Techniques are the best of the bunch IMHO. Both come with a CD and plenty of instructional material. They might not be cheap, paying delivery to Canada, but they're well worth the cost.

The publisher is online, and is the same for both magazines - google Total Guitar and you should be able to track them down easily enough.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@bford)
Reputable Member

I would suggest Play Guitar Magazine if you want beginner lessons with out all the fluff and filler that usually come with the more main stream magazines. It only comes quarterly which I enjoy because it gives you time to digest everything that is in it. Even though it is a smaller magazine compared to others. But as I mentioned, that is because it doesn't have loads of adds in it. It also has 3 songs tabbed out and you can go to their webpage and listen to mp3 snippets of the lessons. Guitarnoise David Hodge contributes articles to it which I particularly enjoy.

http://www.playguitarmagazine.com/

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

I would suggest Play Guitar Magazine if you want beginner lessons with out all the fluff and filler that usually come with the more main stream magazines. It only comes quarterly which I enjoy because it gives you time to digest everything that is in it. Even though it is a smaller magazine compared to others. But as I mentioned, that is because it doesn't have loads of adds in it. It also has 3 songs tabbed out and you can go to their webpage and listen to mp3 snippets of the lessons. Guitarnoise David Hodge contributes articles to it which I particularly enjoy.

http://www.playguitarmagazine.com/

I'll second that. Play Guitar is very good for a beginner.

BJ

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

I pick up each and every one of the mentioned magazines. Play Guitar is very easy to understand which is a big plus for beginning fellows like myself. It's also easy on the wallet at 4.95 US. Very beginnerish with simple songs to learn and more importantly, more easy to follow discussions of techniques such as strumming and boom chucking. I was glad to have my winter issue with the boom chuck as I was learning some Johnny Cash songs with the teacher. After that Acoustic Guitar is more advanced, 6-7 songs tabbed, gear reviews, lessons and basic technique explanations. It's also 4.95 US. After that I like Guitar World Acoustic mag. I'm looking at the December issue, big article on Neil Young, 6 songs transcribed, a group of six Neil Young songs with bits of them tabbed out along with discussions of his style for each song. The tabbed songs are in easy format and in note for note tab. Gear reviews, short articles about Don McLean, Liz Phair and Iron and Wine and all for 5.99 US. Then we have Guitar Player mag. More 'advanced' with the possibility of getting one song tab out of fifteen or so - after going through a number of hoops online. The lessons are geared more for those who are already about to rock and have fewer tabbed lines. More gear reviews, more ads. 6.50 US. After that we are beginning to talk about the ones with CD's attached. Guitar Techniques magazine has a CD with video lessons and audio tracks. I've just picked up the latest one today. The video lessons seem a bit sparse to me and not that detailed compared to other mags. The audio bits include things like a backing track to play the latest Nickelback song, a backing track and a full track. Also I see five pages of that Nickelback song tabbed out. It has acoustic and rock lessons. It has technique lessons, a question and answer section and is very good. A bit over my head still but it'll be there when I get up to it. The CD from this magazine always gives me problems in terms of playing it. That could just be me. The audio tracks won't show up willingly and the video seems to require me to put the disk in my oldest drive to be able to work and only after a reboot. This magazine comes from England and runs 12.99 US.

Whew, I'm getting dizzy here. After that comes Guitar World. If you ever want to learn how to play Stairway to Heaven, the February issue has a really cool CD with a step by step video of same. The guy plays it normal speed, slows it down, breaks it down and although I can't possibly play it now, I have the disk where I'll be able to learn from. 5-6 odd tabs per issue. The latest issue on the stands now has the Stairway to Heaven tab, one by KORN, Deep Purple,, White Stripes, and Coheed and Cambria. It has video snipets of the lessons inside the magazine. It has an article about Jimmy Page and Jack White, thick with ads and costs 7.99 US. Very good magazine and CD.

After that we have Guitar One at 7.99 US. OK, I'm tired, someone take over. It's Guitar One, Guitar World, Total Guitar at 12.99 US., and Guitarist Magazine at 14.99.

Enjoy your karma, after all you earned it.
http://www.gadlaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member

Ok, Gadlaw. I'll pick it up now... :D

Play Guitar is a good beginner magazine, but I think you'll quickly outgrow it and become bored. It does have some good tabs.

I also get them all and my favorite, far and away, is Total Guitar. I look forward to its' arrival every month. The combination of excellent instruction, great tab, CD with backing tracks and British humour make it a must read. I used to buy it at Borders (3rd Thursday of every month) for $12.99, but finally gave in and I now subscribe. Expensive, but worth every penny IMO.

Second is tie between Guitar Techniques and Guitar One. GT used to be #2 until G1 started with the CDs. Strangely, even though they are all share the same publisher, I prefer the CD formats of TG and GT over G1. Guitar One has a "user interface" while I can just pop my TG and GT CDs into my disc drive and off I go.

Next is a tie between Guitar World and Guitar World Acoustic - all depends upon what mood I'm in. I think the best interviews are in these two mags.

If you have the time, patience and funds, the best thing to do is sample them all for a few months (or all in one month). Then decide which you like best and get a subscription - you'll save big.

ReplyQuote
(@grade_a_fender)

Hi guys, i've been looking on the internet for a place to subscribe to acoustic guitar magazine but i can't get any that allow for delivery to Australia with the states and stuff. if you no any let me know :D

Live like you'll die tommorow
Dream like you"ll live forever-Dean Martin

ReplyQuote
(@grade_a_fender)

Don't worry 'bout it guys, i found one

Live like you'll die tommorow
Dream like you"ll live forever-Dean Martin

ReplyQuote