Clear all

Which knee do you put your guitar on?

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@schecter)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

To me the right knee feels more comfortable, but my instructor tells me to put it on my left knee because it is better for the position of your left arm or sumthin like that.

does it really matter, or is it a common habbit that i should make sure not to develop early?

thanks

"I’m one of those lucky beginners who never actually makes a mistake." - Chris_C

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

What do you mean KNEE?? :o

I lay back in the armchair and rest it on my stomach - doesn't everybody?? :D

Seriously though, there's a few options. Check out these pictures on Jamie Andreas' website. She seems to be a pretty serious "classical" sort of person, but suggests a variety of positions, depending on what you're doing.

Click here for Jamie's pictures and posture advice

She's got a big site of her own, but has also written a heap of articles that you can find here at Guitarnoise as well.

You might also one day want to play standing up, with a strap, because hopping around with your knee cocked in the air is going to be a bit impractical then.... :P

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

I lay back in the armchair and rest it on my stomach - doesn't everybody?? :D

I've been known to do that on lazy days :)

Seriously, I think (which means that you should take this with a grain of salt at best) that as long as you're sitting up relitavely straight and keep your left wrist fairly straight you're fine. However, if your instructor is any good, he probably knows best.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@deanobeano)
Reputable Member

I just looked at the link Chris_C provided and didnt no that there were so many positions. I knew three, sitting with guitar on left knee which is classical and how i first started out playing. Then when igot my teacher he said put it on my right knee as it would be easier to reach the fret board and its how most rock starts play and therefore looks cooler ! The third position is standing. Also when i sit and play i dont use a foot rest i just hav my feet flat on the floor ! Whatever feels comfortable for u is the answer

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Your instructor should know best so if you are a classical player and right handed then he/she is probably right.

I don't play classical so the right side against the stomach with the neck up and out is for me. Like the first picture Chris provided in the link I actually hold it in my lap the same way it hangs with the strap over the left shoulder and behind my right shoulder.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@rejectedagain)
Estimable Member

i don't know too much about this stuff.. i put it on my right knee when i play. but maybe if you play classical it goes on the left.

ReplyQuote
(@schecter)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

well i dont play classical, but my teacher is pretty smart so ill just listen to him.

and my fingers are starting to wear down on the tips, it almost hurts to hold a chord, especially the little string, how long will it take before they get tough?

"I’m one of those lucky beginners who never actually makes a mistake." - Chris_C

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Put it were it is comfortable. Play. If it doesn't quite work, try the position your teach suggested. Just make sure you sound the way you want to sound.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

and my fingers are starting to wear down on the tips, it almost hurts to hold a chord, especially the little string, how long will it take before they get tough?
Usually 2 to 6 weeks but it does depend on the individual healing powers (callouses) and the amount you play each day. When it hurts take a short break then come back.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

If you can't figure it out, play standing up.

It doesn't matter, although for new students I sometimes have them play left kneed to make the left wrist position straighten out.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Shecter, I think your avatar is on steroids :lol:

Nick makes a good point. If you don't play classical then try standing up and see what feels best. Then find a similar position sitting.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@schecter)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I figured you would notice but could not help commenting :lol: :lol:

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote