Clear all

Which scale??

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 jkp
(@jkp)
Topic starter  

Okay, I can't believe I just stumbled across this forum. I hope to make a lot of use out of it.
Here is a question that I've been wondering about for awhile, which shows my lack of understanding music theory, but here it goes. If a song is being played in the key of E, does that mean that you would choose notes for soloing from an scale based in the key of E? Or if the chord changes go something like E, B, and then to a G chord, would you have to change the notes of the scale to match the chord changes?

(@alangreen)

Hi, and welcome to Guitarnoise.

I'd suggest that your first port of call should be the lessons on this site, especially anything by David Hodge. "Theory without tears" is a good place to start.

Basically, though, E and B exist in the keys of B and E, so you wouldn't need to change the scales you're using with either chord, but G doesn't exist in either key (although it does exist in both Em and Bm). Let us know if it's still foggy after you've checkout David's lesson.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 jkp
(@jkp)
Topic starter  

Thanks Alan, I'm going to check out the reference you listed right now.

Appreciate the response!

ReplyQuote