Clear all

Whisteling, B string

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@william55)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Why is my B string whisteling? I just noticed it, if i hit the strings kinda hard after the sound wears off it whistels and is really annoying the heck out of me. Also when doing an Em, I am having an extremely hard time getting a clear sound from the A string. I have to really push it extremely hard against the neck, and i can't even play for 10 seconds doing that. I am using my ring finger and middle finger, Any input here? But I would espically like an answer to the whisteling sound, Thanks guys

-William

(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Any chance you can give us a better discription then a whistle? Also sounds like you need to have the guitar setup a bit better. Acoustic or electric?

ReplyQuote
(@william55)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Its an acoustic/electric guitar, Ibanez. It sounds like the whisteling is coming from the top of the neck

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Most likely you're hearing the ringing of the short string sections between the nut and the tuner post. It's normal, and anytime you hit the strings hard and suddenly damp them, you'll hear a very high pitched whistle or metallic ringing sound from them. Especially noticeable on acoustics because the guitar body amplifies the sound transmitted down the neck. If you don't like it (remember it is normal), damp the vibration with some foam under the strings above the nut.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@william55)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Wow man thanks for the reply! I thought something was wrong with the guitar, I guess there isn't :D

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I can hear that on all of my guitars if I listen closely enough, but on my acoustics and reso I can really hear it ring out if I bang on the strings and suddenly mute them. Some of them sound like a metallic "clank" decaying after the strings are muted. It will stop when the strings above the nut are muted or damped. I've never done anything about it, I just figure it's part of the guitar's normal sound.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote