(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Woo Hoo! :D Good for you!!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

Hey gang I've finally kicked the pick habit :)

and today was the first day I actually didn't need to use a pick and I'm starting to get chicken picking down :)

Woohoo.

:beer:

It's fun when a technique comes together.

I presume you mean you've kicked the FLAT pick habit?

Try a thumbpick. It'll save a bunch of wear and tear on your thumb flesh.

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yep. I've blistered my thumb more than once.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I gave up picks a few years ago! Found that it's just much easier (for me, anyway) to just use fingers/fingernails. Feels much more natural and I haven't accidentally thrown a pick at anyone in ages! (For some reason, when I really got into playing, my picks would go flying and I'd wind up fingerpicking anyway! So, I just cut out the middleman!) :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

I do have a thumb pick but it feels weird on my thumb and I do know that sounds crazy but it's true.

Won't be too long before it'll feel wierd to NOT have the thumbpick on while playing.

After that happens try some metal fingerpicks for that jangly & loud sound. (they take a lot more getting used to than the thumbpick)

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
(@mahal)
Estimable Member

Hey gang I've finally kicked the pick habit :)

and today was the first day I actually didn't need to use a pick and I'm starting to get chicken picking down :)

Woohoo.

:beer:

It's fun when a technique comes together.

I presume you mean you've kicked the FLAT pick habit?

Try a thumbpick. It'll save a bunch of wear and tear on your thumb flesh.Yuppers I have and the tone sounds better, Weird huh?

I do have a thumb pick but it feels weird on my thumb and I do know that sounds crazy but it's true.
Everything about guitar felt weird at first. From the fingertips to deciding whether I would play left or right handed. I never got comfortable with a flat pick for three years it was the thumb only like Wes. It was only after I started trying to fingerpick that I picked up a thump pick to get that bass responce.

Now I can do some of that heavy strumming.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I very rarely use a pick - I've been playing without one for so long it feels awkward when I do use one. Basically the only time I use one now is if I want a jangly sound by arpeggiating near the bridge. The only downside I've found is I have to carry a nailfile around all the time for when my fingernail breaks!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote