Notifications
Clear all

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

28 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@dragoonx)
Eminent Member

dunno if i should be asking this here but... what kind of notation is that? ^^;; Only thing I know so far is the tabliture that looks like the neck vertically :x Sorry if its a really nuby question.

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Don't apologize Dragoonx, no question is frowned upon here !!

Which bit of the tab don't you understand ? Let us know and we will try and help you.

Rod.

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@dragoonx)
Eminent Member

Hmm I should of phrased my question more clearly. Well, I was practicing tonight and during my nightly forum browsing, I'm having trouble making a transition. I've seen 2 forms of tabs so far and the first one is rather simply to me. Its a vertical image of a neck starting at the nut with a few frets and dots on the lines indicating where your fingers would be. then you have the X and O and # for what fingers to use and play opened or close. Looking at major open chords is what I'm talking about. Now my main problem is going from that to the tabs seen in this thread. I cant find a good explanation for this horizontal(?) reading... I hope that made sense :x

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Right, If I've got this right You understand chord charts but not tab I think you are refering to something like this
E5
D-14-14-14-14-|-14-14-14-14-|-14-14-14-14-|-14-14-14-14-|
A-14-14-14-14-|-14-14-14-14-|-14-14-14-14-|-14-14-14-14-|
E-12-12-12-12-|-12-12-12-12-|-12-12-12-12-|-12-12-12-12-|

What you have here is an abreviated version of this

E:----------------------------------------
B:----------------------------------------
G:----------------------------------------
D:----------------------------------------
A:----------------------------------------
E:----------------------------------------

Where what Vic has done is inly written in the E, A & D strings down

You are right in that it is a horizontal neck showing the 6 strings and the position at which fret to place your fingers
So the first tab shown here is D power chord,

For more info go here http://guitar.about.com/library/blhowtoreadtab.htm

I'm not sure if guiarnoise has a similar page, but it probably does.

ReplyQuote
(@dragoonx)
Eminent Member

Ahhh!!! Very helpful. Much appreciated! =)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Only just noticed the recent posts.....

The reason I only tabbed the EAD strings is because, basically, that's where the song's played - all powerchords. I was trying to save space - but this was done on the old format of Guitarnoise, when you used code, it didn't go into a small window like it does now.

Seems Wes was right, way back, when he said there's an extra chord - sounds OK to me playing a quick Em7 - 12 14 12 12 12 12, play as many strings as you feel like playing......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dragoonx)
Eminent Member

Well, since I'm still working on my finger dexterity, I can't say I've mastered this XD Although I managed to get the main riff in a 1 string version, which I have down pretty good. I hope to step up to this soon. Anyways, I was wondering how I could make that pick at the start of the song... its a pretty long sound and it runs 3 times I think? I assume it could be done with a whammy bar but I dont have that ._.

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Well, since I'm still working on my finger dexterity, I can't say I've mastered this XD Although I managed to get the main riff in a 1 string version, which I have down pretty good. I hope to step up to this soon. Anyways, I was wondering how I could make that pick at the start of the song... its a pretty long sound and it runs 3 times I think? I assume it could be done with a whammy bar but I dont have that ._.

Thats the way Dragoonx, slowly slowly catchy monkey

But you have lost me again on the bit about the pick at the start of the song and using a whammy :? :?

ReplyQuote
(@dragoonx)
Eminent Member

Yea, I'm not too good at describing these ._. Its at the very start of the song when he says "I... am Ironman" very slowly. Its definitely on the 6th string judging by the sound and it gives off a really cool bending sound ^^;

Edit: Whops, wrong song!!! Lol. Forget I asked.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

That sound in Ironman comes from bending the sixth string BEHIND the nut. it's the only song I've ever come across that a bend done there.

This thread was about the song Paranoid though!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Isn't that a pre-bend? Bend behind neck, strike low E , then release. Been a few years since I've done that.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Dennis I don't think it's a pre-bend, just a regular bend, but you could be correct.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Nice blast from the past Vic. It has been a while since I had a go at this one.
Its one of those songs you pick up when you first start learning and one of those songs you just don't play in a guitar shop :lol:

well I've been told not to anyway.

All in all a very concise lesson Vic.

Nice one,

Rod. :wink:

Why not ?? O_O

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2