Clear all

Disney - I Want To Be Like You

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, there's been many a thread asking what to play for kids. This one's a winner. Kids of all ages love the beat and swing that Louis Prima injected into this classic scene from the Jungle Book. It also qualifies as really simple, too. I'm sure some can make it sound better than I can, but I do mostly straight down beats with a little mix-up thrown in every once in a while.

It's got just 6 chords, 5 of which most people already know. For that G7, I don't even like to hit the full chord. Just the bottom few strings with the High-E on the first fret being the only one being fretted. Plus, I only strike it once to get to the C chord. Might be technically wrong, but it sounds good to me.

At any rate, loosen up that tie and have a bit of fun! Heck, try to improv some scats at the end.
I Wanna Be Like You - Disney

[verse 1]

Now I'm [Am]the King of the Swingers Ohh the [E7]jungle VIP
I've reached the top and had to stop
and that's what's botherin [Am]me
I wanna be a man Mancub yeah I'll stroll right into [E7]town
I wanna be just like the other men
I'm tired of monkey'n [Am]around [G7]

[CHORUS]

Whoa [C]Ooh Be Doo, I wanna be like [A7]you ooh ooh
I wanna [D7] walk like you
[G7]talk like you [C]too
You'll [G7]see it's [C]true,
an ape like [A7]me eeh eeh
can [D7]learn to be [G7]human [C]too

[verse 2]

Now [Am]don't try to kid me Mancub I made a deal with [E7]you
What I desire is man's red fire
to make my dream come [Am]true
Give me the secret Mancub clue me in on what to [E7]do
Give me the power of man's red fire so I can be like [Am]you [G7]

[CHORUS]

(solo part, I'd do an instrumental verse)

[Chorus]

[Chorus] Kick up the power. Maybe add some scats in the Louis Prima
style

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

Thanks so much for this one! My kids will love it.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Great one, Roy! Thanks. 8)
Los Lobos did a cool version of this as well for an album of Disney covers called 'Stay Awake'.
Gotta go, time to get scatting...
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Glad you like it.

I'm trying to figure out if I like the chorus ending with a C chord. Seems like it's not natural or something to go from C to Am, and then ending the song on a C. Oh well. Fun little song, even if it does cause me anxious dreams about infinite loops.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote