Father and Son, wit...

Notifications
Clear all

Father and Son, with simple intro, Cat Stevens

23 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@gazwoz)

nice work mate, sounds pretty much spot on. another one to add to the rep, cheers!

"Flowers are merely prostitutes for the bees." - Uncle Monty

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

you're welcome Gazwoz.

Great name by the way.

all the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@gazwoz)

ha ha, good to see somebody else is making the most of their time off work/school!

"Flowers are merely prostitutes for the bees." - Uncle Monty

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

time OFF?

Nah...........time DURING !!!!

:lol:

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@lineagecreed)
Trusted Member

Hey Matt,
thank you for this great post! I want you to know that I just spend half an hour searching through your posts looking for your easy-song posts :) so far, i've found this song, high, you're beautiful, all i want is you, behind blue eyes and half the world away. i'm helping to learn all of them! so thank you for those posts as well...

i have a small question on this, as strum pattern has always been hard for me (bad rthyme). you mentioned the strum for father and son should be " try Down (pause)downupdown"

does that mean, the first Down stroke gets 2 beats? the "downup" gets 1 beat and the last down gets 1 beat?

thank you

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

i have a small question on this, as strum pattern has always been hard for me (bad rthyme). you mentioned the strum for father and son should be " try Down (pause)downupdown"

does that mean, the first Down stroke gets 2 beats? the "downup" gets 1 beat and the last down gets 1 beat?

Hey mate, hope I can help you with this. I play this as D dduD dduD dduD ...

The first "D" (in bold) comes in on the word "time" in the first verse of "It's not time to make a change".

Then it's a basic dduD through the rest of the song where the capital "D" represents an emphasized downstroke. It would probably be written differently to what I've shown above, but this helps me understand it better. Note that after the emphasized downstroke there is a one beat rest (represented by a space).

If you have the recording anywhere you'll be able to hear this pattern pretty easily.

Hope this helps. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

Hey Matt,

thank you

Hi mate

this is a typical sixteen notes strummin pattern. The pattern Matt suggested is by the way the original Cat Stevens uses. it is in term of beats

1: D
2: Ddu
3: D
4: Ddu

So you basically play a downstrum in beat 1 then in beat 2 things go a bit speedier playing Ddu The shift between quarter and eight notes is a bit tricky so I use to play a simplier pattern like this

1 = dd
2 = ddu

Also don't forget to mute the first two downstrums. It is a pattern widely used by Neil Young (i.e. in Heart of gold verse or in Old Man) or by Cat Stevens in Wild World

Cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@lineagecreed)
Trusted Member

hey Bennett and Matteo, thank you for the suggestions, and I think it is sounding better.
and Matteo, those 16th note strums are harder...I typically use the top and down motion of my strumming hand to keep rthyme...but when I speed up and slow down on it, the rhythm gets harder to keep...but I'll keep working on it

thank you!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2