Clear all

I'm Only Sleeping - The Beatles

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Here's another I've been working on lately. It's not dead easy but it's not too hard either and its added another couple of chords to stretch my capability. Namely (Asus2 and Am7/G). The Asus2 sounds a bit weird but if you slip quickly off it to Em it strangely works. I had to force myself to slow down while playing it and that works better too and gives you time to think about the next chord.

Strum pattern is sort of straight D/U/D but as got used to the song I played around with it. It's great fun to play and sing.

I dedicate this to Vic (because he can't sleep) and to Rodders (because he can or he used to, especially on Sunday)

One of my favorite Lennon penned songs from the Revolver album. More than makes up for "Tomorrow Never Knows". What was that one about! They didn't go that weird on Sgt. Pepper. Anway back to "I'm Only sleeping"

Verse 1:

(Em)When I wake up early in the (Am)Morning, (G)lift my (C)head (G)I'm still (B7)yawning.

(Em)When I'm in the middle of a (Am)dream, (G)stay in (C)bed (G)float up(C)stream.

(G)Please don't wake me (Am)no don't shake me (Bm)leave me where I (Am)am,

(Am)I'm only (Asus2)sleeping (Em)

Verse 2:

(Em)Everybody seems to think I'm (Am)lazy, (G)I don't (C)mind I (G)think they're (B7)crazy

(Em)Running everywhere at such a (Am)speed (G)till they (C)find (G)there's no (C)need

(G)Please don't spoil my (Am)day I'm miles (Bm)away and after (Am)all,

(Am) I'm only (Asus2)sleeping (Em)

Bridge:

(Fmaj7)Keeping an eye on the (E)world going by my (Am)window (Am7/G)

(Fmaj7)Taking my time.

(Em)Lying there and staring at the (Am)ceiling, (G)waiting (C)for a (G)sleepy feel(B7)ing.

Lead Guitar Solo: (George's bit, You'll have to listen to the CD for that!)
played over:

(Em) (Am) (G) (C) (G) (C)

(Am) I'm only (Asus2)sleeping (Em)

(Fmaj7)Keeping an eye on the (E)world going by my (Am)window (Am7/G)

(Fmaj7)Taking my time.

Verse 1 again:

(Em)When I wake up early in the (Am)Morning, (G)lift my (C)head (G)I'm still (B7)yawning.

(Em)When I'm in the middle of a (Am)dream, (G)stay in (C)bed (G)float up(C)stream.

(Am)I'm only (Asus2)sleeping (Em)

And thats it.

All the best,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hi Rodders, just been having a fool around with this on unplugged electric....and you're right, that Asus2 doesn't sound right....what does work, though is an Am9, the same chord Clapton & Harrison used in Badge.....

(C)And I'm thinking bout the (Am)love that you made on my (Bm7) table......(Am9)

Unfortunately, I only know one way to play it (until a 6-fingered guitarist evolves, anyway!) and that's as a barre chord....

E A D G B E
5 7 5 5 5 7

So it's a tricky little change.....unless you can go from the Bm to barre Am, then to Am9th which is fairly easy with a little practise - just take your pinky off the D string and take it over to the top E string....

It's worth trying though, it sounds perfect......took me a couple of goes to get it - the key is forward planning.....
When you get to this line,

(Am) I'm only (Amin9)sleeping (Em)

If you can barre the G following the C, all well and good...if it's a bit tricky, play the Am following the G with your 2nd finger on the B string, 1st fret - ring finger on the D string, 2nd fret and pinky on the G string, 2nd fret....this makes it easier to play the Bm, just slide the whole shape up 2 frets, then up 3 frets and play the Am at the fifth (using an Em chord shape) then the Am9....

If you can barre the G at the 3rd, then the Am at the 5th, then the Bm at the seventh, all you then have to do is come down two frets to the Am and switch to the Am9.....

Tricky at first, but not impossible.....

BTW, one little typo as well....

(Em)Running everywhere at such a (Am)speed (G)till they (G)find (G)there's no (C)need

Second G should be a C....I know it's a typo 'cos you got the G/C/G change right in the first verse

Great song though, thanks for posting it....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Vic,

Glad you liked my offering for you and Rodders. It was me who posted it. :wink: :wink: You have an excuse though as it seems by the time of your reply that you were up all night again mate. :o :o

Must try out your (Am9). Although barre chords again ouch! ouch. You and Rodders must dispair of me!

Anyway I'm gonna get the action lowered on my guitar in the new year as Rodders thinks that may be the problem.

Thanks for pointing out the typo as well, I've corrected it.

Peace :D :D :D

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Great song , I have never tried playing it before so thanks!

However it is almost impossible not to follow the bassline in the "please don't wake me" bit ut to a C - making it G-Am-Bm-Am/C = C effectively, even a Cmaj7 (x32000)sounds OK to me, and followed by a x02200 A9 it sounds cool - dunno how close this is to the original - will listen later

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

- no, the bassline is not like that... sorry, it will happen again.

However, I still want a Cmaj7 towards the end.

It has to be like this:
I'm only (Cmaj7)sleeping

Ah, and the nice little bass fill:
arrrg, how do I make tabs? - will find out another day, but anyway - hold the em shape, play the open 6th string, then fret the 3rd, play the 2 fret on the 5th string (which you already have in your em), down again to the G (3 rd fret) and E (open) on the 6th string.
E G B G E

The next time (before the bridge) you end up on the e on the 4th string (second fret)
E G B e

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Cmaj7 will do the job too....

Am9 consists of the notes A, C, E, G and B...(I, bIII, V, bVII, IX)

Cmaj7 consists of the notes C, E, G and B...(I, III, V, VII)

So there's very little difference between the two chords....

Except Cmaj7 is easier to play by far!!!!

Well spotted, Lars!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Eh Vic,

I thought I strummed this song well until I saw this guy fingerpicking the whole darn thing. Just pure brilliance! Will I ever get this good? Not for many a year.

Here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqP6afvLEdA

There are several vids of him playing on youtube, they are almost like lessons as you can see exactly what he does with his fretting.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@heyesie)
Trusted Member

- no, the bassline is not like that... sorry, it will happen again.

However, I still want a Cmaj7 towards the end.

It has to be like this:
I'm only (Cmaj7)sleeping

Ah, and the nice little bass fill:
arrrg, how do I make tabs? - will find out another day, but anyway - hold the em shape, play the open 6th string, then fret the 3rd, play the 2 fret on the 5th string (which you already have in your em), down again to the G (3 rd fret) and E (open) on the 6th string.
E G B G E

The next time (before the bridge) you end up on the e on the 4th string (second fret)
E G B e

Lars
Well done Lars
I love this song
I was about to ask if anyone knew the base riff

Many are called but few are chosen.

ReplyQuote
(@rmorash)
Estimable Member

Wow! I've just discovered this. This is one of my favorite Beatles tunes and I've tried to play it in the past but couldn't get the right sound. Thanks also for the fingering video - that was amazing.

ReplyQuote