Notifications
Clear all

Imagine by John Lennon

19 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@jeff-in-montana)

dsus4,

couple of ideas to try, if you want; ideas I'm playing around with - on the verse use your C/G chord instead of just straight C, and try walking into it with this little riff:

E-
B-
G-
D----------2
A-0-1-2---3
E----------3

hammering on the A# (1st fret, 5th string) after plucking open A. Then, pluck B note (2nd fret, 5th string) then strum bottom (low) three notes of C/G chord, pause slightly, then go into regular strum. Gives it an "Imagine" type sound and feel, I think. You can do this just before you go to the C/G throughout the verse.

Also, try using Fmaj7 for F in verse. Just move the whole C/G up a string. Let me know what you think.

(whoops, edited my fingering of the Fmaj7 - thats what I get for posting without my geetar in hand! :lol: )

ReplyQuote
(@hawken)
Trusted Member

If you guys are interested in playing it the way John did then you should check out his new "Acoustic" album....it's a good one. It has a live version of John playing this tune with nothing but an acoustic guitar.

They took the liberty of listing all the chord changes to the songs on the album in the liner notes, along with a mini-chord dictionary that shows you the fingerings for all the chords used. Very cool idea, and one that I found useful. It's like getting the album and tab book in one!

ReplyQuote
(@dsus4)
Eminent Member

Jeff in Montana,

That sounds pretty good, I like the run up to the C/G and the hammer on that follows, makes it deeper.
Thats a good lesson too for all the true beginners. That's how I learned myself (self taught). Start with the lowest common denominator, simply strumming the full open chords and after you get that down, start throwing in some runs, hammerons, pulloffs or whatever your heart desires. And no, it doesn't have to be *exactly* like the artist plays it. Make it your own.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

If you guys are interested in playing it the way John did then you should check out his new "Acoustic" album....it's a good one. It has a live version of John playing this tune with nothing but an acoustic guitar.

They took the liberty of listing all the chord changes to the songs on the album in the liner notes, along with a mini-chord dictionary that shows you the fingerings for all the chords used. Very cool idea, and one that I found useful. It's like getting the album and tab book in one!

Here it is. I pasted the lyrics into Word and placed the chords exactly where they are in the booklet. I haven't played this yet, but I'll give it a try. I made one or two corrections. John flubbed and reversed a line or two of the lyrics.
Imagine – John Lennon (acoustic)

C Fmaj7
Imagine there's no heaven
C Fmaj7
It's easy if you try
C Fmaj7
No hell below us
C Fmaj7
Above us only sky

F F/E Dm Dm/C
Imagine all the people
G G7
Living for today

C Fmaj7
Imagine there's no countries
C Fmaj7
It isn't hard to do
C Fmaj7
Nothing to kill or die for
C Fmaj7
And no religion too

F F/E Dm Dm/C
Imagine all the people
G G7
Living life in peace

F G C E7
You may say I'm a dreamer
F G C E7
But I'm not the only one
F G C E7
I hope someday you'll join us
F G C E7
And the world will be one

C Fmaj7
Imagine no possessions
C Fmaj7
I wonder if you can
C Fmaj7
No need for greed or hunger
C Fmaj7
A brotherhood of man

F F/E Dm Dm/C
Imagine all the people
G G7
Sharing all the world

F G C E7
You may say I'm a dreamer
F G C E7
But I'm not the only one
F G C E7
I hope someday you'll join us
F G C
And the world will live as one

This is the version I've been playing. It sounds pretty good, and faithful to the original, with a tweak here or there. It's 3 pdf files you can download.

http://frankfalvotabs.blogspot.com/2008/03/imagine-john-lennon.html

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2