Instant Karma - John Lennon.

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Couple of things made me decide to tab this out:

1 - I found a half-done tab for it in a Lennon/McCartney song book I was given (well, actually, I gave the eldest grandson a capo - and he left the book here, he doesn't seem to have much time for the Beatles - his loss, not mine!) I got to thinking - is there actually a guitar track on the single? I can't hear one.

2 - Looked up the video on youtube. Unless my eyesight's deteriorated to the extent I need new glasses again, it looks like there are TWO bass guitarists, no rhythm guitar track and Yoko on blindfold and knitting needles. Good choice of instrument, if you ask me.

So, I started trying to play along with it. The great thing about having no rhythm guitar track is you can play whatever you want as long as the chords are in the right places - I find a nice syncopated, kinda reggae-ish rhythm sounds good. Anyway, here are the chords - do with them what you will!

Instant Karma - John Lennon.

Intro - very short and sweet - sounds like an F#m chord!

(A)Instant (E)karma's gonna get (F#m)you, (A)gonna knock you (E)right on the (F#m)head,
(A)You better (E)get yourself (F#m)together, (F)pretty soon you're (G)gonna be (A)dead,
(D)What in the (A)world you thinking (Bm)of,(A)(D) laughing in the (A)face of (Bm)love,(A)
(C)What on (G)earth you trying to (F)do,(C) it's (D)up to you, (E7)yeah, you,

(A)Instant (E)karma's gonna (F#m)get you, (A)gonna knock you (E)right in the face,(F#m)
(A)Better get your(E)self together (F#m)darlin', (F)join the (G)human race,(A)
(D)How in the (A)world you gonna (Bm)see,(A) (D)laughin' at (A)fools like (Bm)me,(A)
(C)Who on (G)earth d'you think you (F)are,(C) a (D)superstar? Well (E7)right you are,

And we (G)all (Bm)shine (Em)on, like the (G)moon and the (Bm)stars and the (Em)sun,
Well we (G)all (Bm)shine (Em)on, (D)everyone, (E7)come on,

(A)Instant (E)karma's gonna get (F#m)you, (A)gonna knock you (E)off your feet,(F#m)
(A)Better recog(E)nise your (F#m)brothers, (F)everyone you (G)meet,(A)
(D)Why in the (A)world are we (Bm)here,(A) (D)surely not to (A)live in pain and (Bm)fear,(A)
(C)Why on (G)earth are you (F)there,(C) when you're (D)everywhere, come and (E7)get your share,

Well we (G)all (Bm)shine (Em)on, like the (G)moon and the (Bm)stars and the (Em)sun,
Yeah we (G)all (Bm)shine (Em)on, D)on and on and on, (E7)on, on,

(A)Yeah (E)yeah,F#m)(E) (A)all (E)right,(F#m)(E) ah-(A)hah,(E)(F#m) (F)ah,(G) (A)

Well we (G)all (Bm)shine (Em)on, like the (G)moon and the (D)stars and the (Em)sun,
Yeah we (G)all (Bm)shine (Em)on, (D)on and on and on, (E7)on and on,
Well we (G)all (Bm)shine (Em)on, like the (G)moon and the (D)stars and the (Em)sun,
Yeah we (G)all (Bm)shine (Em)on, like the (G)moon and the (D)stars and the (Em)sun,
And we all (fade...............)

OK, couple of little things - I'm not entirely sure that this little run's correct.....

(C)What on (G)earth you trying to (F)do,(C) it's (D)up to you, (E7)yeah, you,....I've tried just holding the first C chord all the way to the D chord, and that sounds OK, but playing it solo on acoustic, I reckon it needs to be a little busier (there's a walking bass-line in there somewhere, I'm sure!).........

And in this section......

I reckon you could substitute a D chord for the Bm without too much damage, as long as you get the F# bass note in the D chord (ie play it 2 0 0 2 3 2).

Anyway, give it a try, see what you think.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

...Yoko on blindfold and knitting needles. ...

LOL!

Classic song - thanks

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Vic

Thanks for the song, I always loved this one, especially the drums (I actually always wanted to be a drummer before taking up guitar).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MieDFkhlByo

I remember having this on a 45 when it came out maybe 1970. I can't remember the song title on the B side, but it was Yoko singing and was the most horrible vocals I've ever heard! Not trying to be mean, but it sounded like someone torturing a cat. :shock:

For those who have never had the chance to hear Yoko sing, check out this video. This is actually the best I've every heard from her until about 2:15 into the song. Then you hear the real Yoko.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TiDNrsTv7c

But anyway, thanks, I'll try it out.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

LOL Wes, I used to have the single as well - I'm not sure, but the B-side may have been "Who Has Seen The Wind?" I am 100% sure, though, it actually got played a maximum of once.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yoko really belts it out at the end there. :shock:

But seriously, I give her credit for getting up there and singing. In a way, her singing is very good because it is so original. It is so bad that it's good.

And John Lennon makes a very interesting comment at the end of that video. He say's you have to feel music, not play it. I really think that is amazing and true advice to anyone wanting to play guitar or sing. It has have feeling to be good.

Plus, I hate intellectuals too. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

For those who have never had the chance to hear Yoko sing, check out this video. This is actually the best I've every heard from her until about 2:15 into the song. Then you hear the real Yoko.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TiDNrsTv7c
Wes

Isn't that song on "Sometime In New York" I remember quite liking that at the time.

Strange how you grow out of things :lol: :lol:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

LOL Wes, I used to have the single as well - I'm not sure, but the B-side may have been "Who Has Seen The Wind?" I am 100% sure, though, it actually got played a maximum of once.....

Vic

Yes, the B side was Yoko, Who Has Seen The Wind: "Who has seen the wind? Neither you nor I. But when the trees part their heads, the wind is passing by". I can't believe I remember that! :o The A side said Play Loud on the label; the B side had Play Soft. I still have the 45 buried in a box in the shed.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Intro - very short and sweet - sounds like an F#m chord!

I know I am a year late and a few $$ short in bumping and resurrecting this thread, but I have a tidbit to add.

I just started tooling around with Instant Karma this weekend. Easy, easy, easy song and a heck of a lot of fun to play. It took me all of an hour or three to get it down.

The intro is actually this on piano, the two Es struck together, and the two Gs struck together:

Treble staff
|---------|
|---------|
|---------|
|-----G---|
|--E------|

Bass staff
|---------|
|---------|
|---------|
|---------|
|----G----|
--E--

I like it as a E5 and G5.

|----------------------------|
|--2----5--------------------|
|--0----3--------------------|

It's even fatter sounding as

E G
|--1----4--------------------|

Then the verse of A F#m A F#m A F#m... (the version I found). I prefer using the barre version of Amaj.

At "...pretty soon you're gonna be dead"; "...join the human race"; "...everyone you meet" I'm doing a little riff up the fretboard of

|--1----3----5----------------|
|--2----4----6----------------|
|--3----5----7----------------|
|--3----5----7----------------|

It's all pretty cool. :D

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote