Clear all

Jennifer Eccles - The Hollies

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

As a slowly improving player I'm always mindful that beginners and myself had to start somewhere. So, here's a classic by The Hollies that uses the basic chord progression of (D) (A) (E) (A) oh! and there is (E7) in the bridge. This really good for practicing changing between your basic open chords, once you have learned them.

The Hollies are another of my favourite groups and were probably one of the best of a few groups who were able to write their own material and evolve alongside The Beatles and compete and stay original. And they have stood the test of time. Tony Hicks and Bobby Elliot are still touring as The Hollies today. Alan Clarke I think has retired due to family commitments. Graham Nash left the group soon after this song was written to form the immortal Crosby Stills & Nash

The strum pattern is quite simple too. It's as follows:

Down Down UpDownUp and Down Down
/--A--/--D--/------E--------/--A---/--D--/

Hope this way of representing the pattern makes sense.

Anyway listen to the song on CD a few times and you'll get it.

Verse 1:

(D)White (A)chalk (E)written on (A)red brick, (D)our (A)love (E)told in a (A)heart.

(D)It's (A)there, drawn (E)in the play(A)ground, (D)love, (A)kiss, (E)hate or (A)adore.

Chorus:

(D)I (A)love (E)Jennifer (A)Eccles, (D)I know (A)that(E)she loves (A)me.

(D)La la, (E)la la la(A)la (D)la, (A)la la (E)la la la (A)la

Verse 2:

(D)I (A)used (E)to carry her (A)satchel, (D)she (A)used to walk (E)by my (A)side.

Bridge:

(D)One Monday (E)morning, found out (A)I'd made the grade.

(D)started me (A)thinking, (D)had she (E)done the (E7)same?

(D)but (A)when we got (E)to her door(A)step, (D)her dad (A)wouln't let (E)me (A)inside.

(D)One Monday (E)morning, found out (A)I'd made the grade.

(D)started me (A)thinking, (D)had she (E)done the (E7)same?

Verse 3:

(D)I (A)hope (E)Jennifer (A)Eccles (D)is (A)going to (E)follow me (A)there

(D)Our (A)love is (E)bound to con(A)tinue, (D)Love, (A)kiss, (E)hate or (A)adore.

Chorus:

And thats it, have fun.

Chris.

ps.

This is a teaser for Vic Lewis our resident pop history guru.

Which well known childrens teatime TV programme (here in the UK) had The Hollies as their resident group for the pop music part of the programme around 1963 - 64.

I'll give you clue "Sticky backed plastic" was regularly used onthe programme.

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Don't actually remember the Hollies on there, but the "sticky backed plastic" kind of gives it away - Blue Peter? The Hollies were - and still are - one of my favourite bands from that era, sort of in the first division with the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who and Manfred Mann (it was years later that I got into Dylan.)

Nice easy one - perhaps one of these nights when I've got nothing to do (think I've got a 15-minute window in february) I'll do a couple of Hollies songs, maybe a couple of Manfred Mann....

Anyway Chris, as always, we appreciate the work...

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

I remember them being on Blue Peter whenever they had a new single out.
I like this one but I think my favourite of their's is "Bus Stop"
Plenty of chord changes in this one Chris ! Just had a quick run through on it and sounds really good. Well done, another sixties classic nailed 8)

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I hear you Rodders, I LOVE Bus Stop....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote