Clear all

Link Wray - Rumble

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

By popular request (well Wes is a popular guy and he requested it!!!)

Rumble - Link Wray

This is a real golden oldie - the CD I have it on gives the year as '58 - and as far as I can remember its the first real use of "powerchords" on any record.

You may be wondering who Link Wray is and thinking you've never heard "Rumble" - trust me on this one, you probably have. It was featured in the soundtrack of "Independence Day" and may - I'm not too sure about this - have been featured in "Pulp Fiction"

Anyway - here goes

I think its in 4/4 time - starts will full chords

D/D/E (the E is the 3rd beat of the first measure - hold it for 5 beats altogether)
Repeat
D/D/A(hold the A in the same manner as the E in the first line)
D/D/E (as before)
D/D/B7 (arpeggiate the B7 over two beats and hold for a full measure)

Then

E--3--0
B--------3--0
G--------------3--2--0
D------------------------2--0
A------------------------------2--0
E------------------------------------3b4p0

repeat all of the above, then

D/D/E then for the slightly manic solo, this is a rough approximation:

E--10s12
B--10s12

played together (preferably with a heavy pick!) until the "A" chord - finish off as in first part

It all starts again and fades out in a slightly wobbly fashion - although that could just be my CD!!!!

This is more Graham's (Greybeard's) area of expertise so if it doesn't quite sound right I suggest you ask him - and if you enjoy these old instumentals (love 'em meself!) I thoroughly recommend visiting his website.

Back to you Mr Inman Sir..................

Vic

PS for the arpeggiated B7, it sounds ok at the second fret -

E B G D A E
2 2 4 2 4 2

but better still if you can manage it as a barre chord at the 7th

E B G D A E
7 9 7 8 7 7

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Thanks Vic!

That is a great song. Good tab too. This is a great song for those starting out. Plenty of time to change chords, but also to develop a sense of time for the sustained chords. Still rocks after almost 50 years.

Great job. 8)

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@arcmage)
Trusted Member

Thanks a lot for this one .... I'll be working on it this weekend. I played around a bit with it tonight. A freind stopped by and recognized it right off, even though I in no way have it down yet ;) ..... He said "Hey that's that tune from Pulp Fiction". So yeah I'd say it was in that movie :)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

You know when you're getting old when you remember stuff like this from the first time round - I don't, I was only 1 at the time..............

:D

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ye gods, we really are getting old aen't we Wes - but we "old farts" can still teach the youngsters a thing or two .........I hope!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
 Pup
(@pup)
Estimable Member

Like what? :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

errrrrrrr- stuff from the 50's & 60's - hopefully?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I think younger players can learn a lot from the music of the 50's, 60's and 70's. Let's face it, music was better then. But it's not because people were smarter, or more talented, or anything like that.

No, the big difference is that at that particular time, musicians were allowed far more liberty and control over their music. Musicians were allowed to go into the studio and do pretty much whatever they felt like.

Today, there is too much control by the record companies. As soon as somebody comes out with something fresh, in no time you will hear 50 groups playing the same style. Record companies today go by trends.

In the late 60's you had Psychedelic music like Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane and Pink Floyd, Latin music by Santana, Folk rock by Buffalo Springfield, and Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Swamp music from CCR, Country rock from the Allman Brothers, Eagles. You had the beginnings of Classical rock from Deep Purple, Heavy Metal from Black Sabbath, Jazz fusion from groups like Steely Dan.........

You name it, it was being tried. And all at the same time. That is the big difference.

FM radio was fantastic. DJ's would play whatever they wanted. They would play entire albums. The only thing close today is College radio.

If ever the record companies would get smart and allow musicians this liberty again, you would hear GREAT music again.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hit the nail bang on the head there Wes - musicians are afraid to experiment today because the final say-so goes to the number-crunchers in shiny suits.

Music should be a bout freedom of expression not units.............

Vic

Ps when you mentioned classical rock and deep purple, couple of earlier examples - "Wheels on Fire" by Brian Auger/Julie Driscoll and Whiter Shade of Pale - Procol Harum.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Vic

I used to know Whiter Shade of Pale. I'll have to re-learn it, but when I do I'll make a tab. I love that song.

Wes

ReplyQuote
(@silenus)
Eminent Member

Thank you Vic for those "Rumble" chords...
Easy songs to learn and stays cool to play
Joy to all

ReplyQuote