Clear all

Love Me Two Times- The Doors

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This is a song I've wanted to post a long time. My little brother showed me this song when we had only been playing a few months. I was amazed. :D

This song is not exactly easy, but it is not very difficult either. So I thought I'd post it for those who want a little challange. It is a great sounding song that is very fun to play. I have written out the lyrics with chord changes at the end for those who just want to strum it.

Here are the chords, they are all pretty normal except for the D9. Nice jazz type chord.

E A D9 C7 G C7 B7 E7#9

e--0----5i---0----6p---3i---0----2p---X---
b--0----5i---3r---5r---3i---1i---0----8p--
g-—1i---6m---2m---5r---4i---3p---2r---7r--
d-—2r---7r---0----5r---5p---2m---1i---6i--
a-—2m---0---------3i---5r---3r---2m---7m--
e--0---------2i--------3i-------------0---

This song starts with a very cool riff in E. You can play this riff by chording a regular E chord, just pick your fingers up and down. Also, notice the bass E note at the end. You do not play this note the first time, but you always play it after that. This note should be palm muted by resting your picking hand just before the bridge. Sounds great. On the trill, just hammer on your index finger as fast as you can. I can usually get about 4 hammers in the time alloted, sounds right to me.

E pm pm trill trill pm

e----------------------------------------------------
b----------------------------------------------------
g--------------------------------0tr1-------0tr1-----
d--------0-----2-----0--2----------------------------
a-----2-----2-----2----------------------------------
e--------------------------0--0--------0--0--------0-
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 &

This riff is played 4 times before the verse starts. Once a verse starts, this riff is played 2 1/2 times. This shows the 1/2 riff leading into the A chord. Slide this A chord up, and then use your pinky for the 7th note. Great little Blues lick.

pm E A A7 E(Riff#1)

e--------------------------------------5i--------------
b-----------------------------------------------8p-----
g-------------------------------------------6m---------
d--------0-----2-----0--2-------/7r--------------------
a-----2-----2-----2--------0-------------------------2-
e--0---------------------------------------------------

After this you go back to the E riff and play it once. Then when the verse says, "Love me two time girl', you go into the D9 chord. This part was a little difficult for me to write out, may not be perfect to the recording, but is close. You can use your own pattern here if you want, it will sound fine. Notice the little slide from the 1st fret with the index.

E D9

e----------------------------------------0-------
b---------------------------------------------3r-
g-----------------------------------2m-----------
d--------0-----2-----0--2-------------------------
a-----2-----2-----2------------------------------
e--------------------------1/-2i-2---------------
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

move index

e--------------0-----0-----------------0---------
b-----------1i----------3r-------3b(4)----1i-----
g-----2m-------------------------------------2m--
d-----------------0------------------------------
a------------------------------------------------
e—-2i--------------------------------------------
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

Now you play this barre C7 chord at the 3rd fret. It was hard for me to tab the timing. You play this chord 6 times over 4 beats. It is like two triplets. This is played staccato, very abrupt. So you let up the pressure on your fretting hand quickly after strumming the chord.

C7

e----6p-6--6-----6--6--6--
b----5r-5--5-----5--5--5--
g----5r-5--5-----5--5--5--
d----5r-5--5-----5--5--5--
a----3i-3--3-----3--3--3--
e—------------------------
1 2 3 1 2 3
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

Now, the great sounding chorus, This is actually the easiest part of the song to play, it is just strumming chords. You use an open C7 here instead of the barre shown before.

Chorus Riff
G D9 C7 B7 E pm

e—-3i----3--3--0-----0--0--0-----0—-0—-2p----2--------
b—-3i----3--3—-3m----3--3—-1i----1--1--0-----0--------
g—-4m----4--4—-2i----2--2—-3p----3--3—-2r----2--------
d—-5p----5--5--0-----0--0—-2m----2--2—-1i----1--------
a—-5r----5--5--------------3r----3--3—-2m----2--------
e—-3i----3--3--------------------------------------0--

That's it! If I haven't bored you to tears, now you just start the next verse with the original E riff.

There is only one more part to learn. At the end of the song the chorus is played several times. At the end you play this E7#9 (the famous Hendrix chord). You play it in the same style as the barred C7 shown earlier, 6 times over 4 beats. On the first beat, hit the open E string and let it ring, it is not palm muted here. Play this 2 times each time. This sounds awesome.

End Riff
E7#9

e-------------------------
b------8p-8------8--8--8--
g------7r-7------7--7--7-- X 2
d------6i-6------6--6--6--
a------7m-7------7--7--7--
e—---0--------------------
1 2 3 1 2 3
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

Here are the lyrics with the chord changes.

E riff 4 times

(E)Love me two time Baby
Love me twice today
Love me two time girl(A)
(E)I'm goin' away
Love me two time girl(D9)
Once for tomorrow, once just for today(C7)

(G)Love me two (D9)times, (C7)I'm (B7)goin' away

(E)Love me one time girl
I could not speak
Love me one time baby(A)
(E)Ya know my knees got weak
Love me two time girl (D9)
Love me all through the week (C7)

(G)Love me two (D9)times, (C7)I'm (B7) goin' away

Play solo same as verse

(E) Love me one time
I could not speak
Love me one time baby(A)
(E)Ya know my knees got weak

(E)Love me two time girl (D9)
Love me all through the week (C7)
(G)Love me two (D9)times, (C7)I'm (B7)goin' away

(E)LOVE ME TWO TIME BABY
LOVE ME TWICE TODAY
LOVE ME TWO TIME BABE (A)
(E)'COZ I'M GOIN' AWAY
LOVE ME TWO TIME GIRL(D9)
ONCE FOR TOMORROW N'ONCE JUST FOR TODAY (C7)

G)LOVE ME TWO (D9)TIMES, (C7)WELL I'M (B7)GOIN' AWAY (E7#9)
(G)LOVE ME TWO (D9)TIMES,(C7)WELL I'M (B7)GOIN' AWAY (E7#9)
(G)LOVE ME TWO (D9) TIMES, (C7)WELL I'M (B7)GOIN' AWAY (E7#9)
yeah

Hope you enjoy this song.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Amazing! Just been working on the bass riff to Roadhouse Blues, just about got it nailed - thought to myself, "One of these days I'm REALLY going to have to work on some Doors songs" - and I check into GN and find this.......!!!!!!!

OK Wes - what card am I holding in my hand right now?

Thanks for this.....big fan of the Doors, still struggling a bit with LMF, but I'll get there....

:D :D :D

Vic

PS - Ever noticed a certain similarity between "Hello I Love You" and "All Day And All Of The Night" by The Kinks? OK, it's just the riff, not the whole song....but I still think Ray Davies should sue!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Glad you like it Vic. I am a huge Doors fan too.

Never thought about the Doors and Kinks song before, but they do sound a lot alike. But many songs do. Whenever I hear Twist and Shout sounds just like La Bamba to me.

I was just going over the chords lyrics at the end, might have to make some changes there. So go by your ear there. The chords are correct, but I may not have put them in the exact right place.

This song is not nearly as difficult as it looks.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

At one point I knew the intro riff to this and was getting pretty good at playing that piece. Somehow I forget it later. Thanks for giving me another chance.. at the whole thing no less.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@isaac)

Heh, I didn't even know The Doors sang that...LOL. I'm not a very old person, but I do love classic rock...but the only song I remember by The Doors is "Riders on the Storm".

I was under the impression Aerosmith made it, but I guess that was just a remake now.

Last thing I remember, I was running for the door
I had to find the passage back to the place I was before
"Relax," said the nightman. "We are programmed to recieve.
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!"

ReplyQuote
(@captain-kalooba)
Eminent Member

On the beginning riff, I just can't seem to get that trill right. Any tips?

Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free. - Jim Morrison

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

On the beginning riff, I just can't seem to get that trill right. Any tips?

I'm a newbie as well, but I've spent most of my short learning time on slides, sustain and vibrato, so I might be able to help. Zero tension in your fretting hand is what you need most of all.
If you ignore the intro and the palm muting and just concentrate of the trill:

Place your thumb lightly against the back of the neck. No bend at all in the knuckle. No other part of your fretting hand supporting the neck. Basically, it's sitting 'spongy' in the curve where your thumb connects to your palm. No other fingers on the strings... Repeat the little open sixth, open sixth, open 3rd, hammer, open 3rd, hammer,etc...the guitar rocks back into the curve of your thumb but you still get a great 'wiggle' in the tone. Once you get 3 hammer ons in the allotted time it sounds fine. And with 4, you're cooking.
That hand position and the amount of bracing (almost none) is fine for the whole riff.

Two other things:
it's a lot easier to finger pick than flat pick.
And, the initial strike of the open 3rd string leading into the trill is like a grace note. If anything it should come a fraction early. You want the vibrato of the trill match the beat.

Don

ReplyQuote
(@progressions)
Reputable Member

PS - Ever noticed a certain similarity between "Hello I Love You" and "All Day And All Of The Night" by The Kinks? OK, it's just the riff, not the whole song....but I still think Ray Davies should sue!

Again? :)

Jeff

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

ReplyQuote