Clear all

Nights In White Satin - The Moody Blues

17 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Heres a really beautiful and atmospheric song from the Moody Blues. I've never got much into their stuff but this I've always loved.

Once did a slow smooch at a 1970's pub disco to this with a girl two or three years older than me who I'd admired from afar. The song came on, the lights were dim, plucked up courage, grabbed my chance. Never got to go out with her, then I never expected to. But I got the smooch. Thank you Moody Blues.

The intro chord pattern is just great and follows on into the first verse. The strum pattern is D U&D U&D U&D as best I can describe. If you give the bottom E string a good passing strum with your thumb when playing the (Em) chord it gives a nice moody (excuse the pun) bass sound. I also tend to use (Fmaj7) in place of (F) as I find it gives more atmosphere to the song. Its a matter of personal preference though.

Its great to sing along to, even with my lousy voice. You need to pre-empt the chorus though and make sure you've plenty of puff for the "Oh---h how I love you" bit and on into the fade out.

Intro:

(Em) (D) (Em) (D)

Verse 1:

(Em)Nights in white(D)satin (Em)never reaching the(D)end

(C)Letters I've (G)written (F)never meaning to(Em)send

(Em)Beauty I'd (D)always missed (Em)with these eyes be(D)fore

(C)Just what the (G)truth is (F)I can't say any(Em)more

Chorus:

(Em)Cause I (A)love you, yes I (C)love you

(C)Oh----h how I (Em)love you (D) (Em) (D)

Verse 2:

(Em)Gazing at (D)people (Em)some hand in (D)hand

(C)Just what I'm (G)going though (F) they can't under(Em)stand

(Em)Some try to tell(D)me (Em)thoughts they cannot (D)defend

(C)Just what you (G)want to be (F)you'll be in the (Em)end

Chorus:

And Chorus again:

Repeat (Em) (D) (Em) To Fade Out.

There wasn't that beautiful chaps! and easy too?

All the best fellow GN'ers, Oh! and pass the bromide!

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

(@winston)

Thank you so much for this song. Would you happen to know a tab for Go Now by the Moody Blues?

Mein Herz schlagt immer fur dich

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Love it Dogsbody! I also like it better using the Fmaj7 chord instead of just an F. I think the 2nd verse - 2nd line - might flow like this:
(C)Just what I'm (G)going though (F) they can't under(Em)stand
Just sounds better to me that way. Thanks, great job! One of my favs too.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks dntalb,

Glad you like it too and thanks for the correction.
Little typo error there, I've corrected it now.
Like your Avatar too! great little walking guitar.

Glad you like it too Winston,

Sorry but I don't know of a tab for "Go Now". Another great song by the Moody's though. I think it was their first real breakthrough hit wasn't it. Strangely I only heard it yesterday morning on the radio. (Sounds Of The 60's BBC Radio 2). Maybe someone else here on GN can help out.

Best regards

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

"Go Now" was the MB's first hit - according to legend, when McCartney first heard it, it blew him away...."Best record I've ever heard"...Denny Laine was the singer on Go Now, but not long after, Laine and someone else whose name escapes me for the moment left the band, and were replaced by Justin Hayward and John Lodge....the rest is history....

Somewhere, I've got sheet music for Go Now....but it's arranged for piano, I tried to work it out a few years ago for guitar but it was beyond me....maybe these days, I might have a better chance....

Aaaargh....no...not...not...not another trip up to the attic.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

You could try this tab, although the layout isnt brilliant.

http://www.guitaretab.com/m/moody-blues/12806.html

Its the only one I've managed to find so far.

[i]Got myself a new avatar also

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@winston)

Thanks for all of the help, I'll have to check out that tab. I now seem to remeber it was done on the piano wasn't it? HA HA! Oh well thank you all.

Mein Herz schlagt immer fur dich

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Hi Chris,

You may like to have a go at this, its the flute solo to "Whites In Night Satin" that I have arranged for guitar.

I may have missed some of it out as I did it from memory, but once you get going it should all come flooding back.

As usual any corrections and or criticisms are welcome.

Flute Solo tabbed for guitar by Rodders

E-------0---2--3--2-p-0---------------
B----0-------------------3------------
G-------------------------------------
D-------------------------------------
A-------------------------------------
E-------------------------------------

E-------0---2-------------------------
B---------------5-p-3------3--5--4----
G----------------------5--------------

E-------0---2--3--5-p-3--2------------
B----0--------------------------------

E----3--5---3-p-2--0---2---3---2------
B-------------------------------------

B---12--12-12-10------------10--------
G----------------12--11--12----12--11-

B-------------------------------------
G--9--9--11--12--11-------------------

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ah thanks Rod,

Well worked out. Your a genius, "You know everyfink" Rod.

I've just tried out the first couple of lines and I sought of got it. Sounds about right. It was a bit tricky for me as I'm not used to reading true tab or picking individual notes but I did get the pulloff from fret 2 to open E quite well. I find it difficult to decide which finger to use for which fret and by the time I've got the fret the music should have moved on. Keep practiceing I suppose!!

We seem to have got some true family musical collaboration going on here. Long may it go on.

Chris.

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Chris, the thing is with what finger to use is really dependant upon where you have to go to next.

With this solo its best to start with your index on the 2nd fret e then middle on the 3rd then back to the pull off with your index followed quickly with your middle again on the 3rd fret b string.
When you get to it use your ring finger on the 5th. fret and middle on the 4th. Thats the most comfortable way to play I think, anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@stan-ton)
Trusted Member

Could someone please elaborate the strum patterm to this brilliant song/tab.
Many thanks
Stan

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi stan ton,

Sorry for the late reply.

I've recorded myself playing this song to give you all some idea of the strum pattern.

Afraid the quality is not perfect as its my first attempt at recording my playing. theres a few buzzing strings and a little hesitation in places but I thought I'd made a good enough job in one take. It does get better toward the end of the song

Heres the link:

http://www.soundclick.com/christhurland

This will take you to my artist page and then click on@music which will take you to the song and then download it.

Hope it helps you,

Best regards,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Once you got into it Chris, sounded OK to me....well I could recognise what you were playing....

Want me to bring the recorder (the one I bought for the daughter, then aged 7, about 12 years ago..to the next party?

And a guitar?

Heh, we could play a LOT of old Beatles songs, if nothing else....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Vic,

Thanks for listening to it Vic. Do you know it was more nerve racking making that recording all alone in front of my own computer than it was playing at that party of my sister's. And the effort you have to go through to convert it to an mp3 then register with soundclick as an artist (me an artist!! yeah right!) Then post the link on GN, go on holiday for a week getting all excited about the feedback posts and come back and find that good old reliable Vic Lewis is the only one to listen and take the time to reply. I must record more and see if it stirs up any more excitement. :wink: :wink:

Vic you and your guitar would be more than welcome if my sister has another party next June. Might even be able to coax Rodders behind a mic with us this time. He would be brilliant playing lead on all those Beatle numbers. With all the kit my sister's hubby James has got he'd have no problem recording it all warts and all.

LOL

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I couldn't listen. Most of my computer time is at work and sounclick is a banned site (don't know why)
I have been playing this song mostly with D,D,DUDU pattern and all downstrums on the chorus. Does that sound about right?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2