Clear all

you can't always get what you want - The Rolling Stones

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@maritimer)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've been working on this song in standard tuning with capo on 5th. Anyone play this one that could add a few tips (strumming pattern,licks,hammer-ons,pull-offs, etc..) for us less experienced?? This is a classic & sounds great on an accoustic.

thks,
Maritimer

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hello mate,

Every Tuesday night, I go to an acoustic jam session in my local pub..."YCAGWYW" is one of those songs we play a lot, along with Wild Horses, Sweet Virginia, Dead Flowers and Angie....

I've never heard of anyone using a capo at the fifth, but if you give me some idea of the actual chord shapes you're playing, I'll get back to you on this one....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@maritimer)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Vic...here's the chords I've been playing. I just picked it up off an internet tab site. I like the sound playing it this way,but it sounds like it needs some "flourish" to make it through the whole song. I add the hammer on the 4th string and that helps. A little solo would be great.

Standard tuning (capo 5)
EADGBe
++++++
(C) G: 320003 (300203 for add9)
(F) C: 032013 (occasionally hammering the 4th string)
(D) A: 002220

thks,
Maritimer

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

I should try it,in any case I saw that many Rolling Stones ballads like "Wild horses" or "Shine a light" could be played with a pattern like

1= D
2= D
3=du
4=udu

or similar so maybe you should try a similar pattern with this tune too

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@maritimer)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Matteo...that pattern works..I find listening to this song really helps with the strumming. It's a real feel song and I can't describe the pattern I use but it feels/sounds right. I use a hammer-on and pull-off on the 4th string occasionally in the (F) C chord. I would like to hear how other people play this classic. I'd like to learn a little solo to break up the song. It's a great accoustic song to add to the jam list.

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

I almost positive you should be playing that in OPEN G, then CAPO at the
fifth fret. Then you'll hear it! I've HEARD that's how Kieth Richards
played it......

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Maritimer, I have a post in these boards somewhere for this song? When you play it OPEN G you only need a couple of fingers for the Caad9 and "F" chord and a full BARRE (easy) for the "D" chord.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

hello

I saw that a guitar magazine printed this song, they suggested a pattern like

beat 1 =D

beat 2 = D/u (shuffle-like)

beat 3= dd

beat 4 = dudu

In any case any pattern based on sixtheen notes which starts with a single one-quarter downstrum shoud work with it

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@maritimer)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've listened to the song & feel pretty good about the strumming of this song. The strumming suggestions sound real good. What I'd like to do is a little instrumental/solo to break up the song. I'm adding some hammer-ons and pick-offs, but it's a 3 chord song and a SOLO would be great. It's a great song to play to get people singing & fairly easy to play.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hello mate,

Every Tuesday night, I go to an acoustic jam session in my local pub..."YCAGWYW" is one of those songs we play a lot, along with Wild Horses, Sweet Virginia, Dead Flowers and Angie....

I've never heard of anyone using a capo at the fifth, but if you give me some idea of the actual chord shapes you're playing, I'll get back to you on this one....

:D :D :D

Vic

Vic, any idea where I can score Dead Flowers tab/chord?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Interesting post this one. Obviously there's a variety of ways to play it. However i have to agree with whoever said that Keith Richards does play this in open G tuning, with a capo on the 5th fret. For those of you that are interested it goes something like this -

You can't always get what you want…Rolling Stones
Open G tuning (capo 5) D G D G B d
C: 000000 (000200 for add9)
F: 002010 or sometimes 002012 (occasionally hammering the 4th string - sometimes he'll quickly slide up to and back or just down from 004030
D: 222222

C F C F...
C F
I saw her today at the reception
C F
A glass of wine in her hand
C F
I knew she was gonna meet her connection
C F
At her feet was a footloose man

Chorus:
C F
You can't always get what you want
C F
C F
D
But if you try sometimes,
F
You might find
C F C F
You get what you need... ahhhhhhh, yeah.....

And so on. I hope this inspires someone to try it in open tuning - it does sounds very good.

HOWEVER there MUST be someone out there that can flesh it out a bit from the basic model - with a few fills and licks etc. Anyone care to try?

Cheers folks

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Hey thanks Matt,

I was wondering when the lyrics and chords would be posted by someone. Now I can have a proper go at it.

Cheers mate,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Interesting post this one. Obviously there's a variety of ways to play it. However i have to agree with whoever said that Keith Richards does play this in open G tuning, with a capo on the 5th fret. For those of you that are interested it goes something like this -
Matt

Matt,
Do you know what you've done? Admitting that I may even be RIGHT will throw the universe off it's axis! Please, TAKE it back! Ok, enough nonsense.

Here is my orignal post: follow the link to guitar tabs!

===========================================================================

Here is real easy song to play in open "G" capo on the 5'th fret (so, your really playing a "C" chord). It only requires a couple of fingers and BARR with the index or middle. The chords are C (add 9) , F and D.

http://www.guitartabs.cc/fetchfile.php?fileid=10210550

The trick is to play it in "syncopation" (sp?). I think Dave has discussed this in some of his lessons or I read it in guitar player magazine. As your strummimg hit the high E string on the upstroke, you'll be suprised how much depth it adds to the song.

Sorry, I don't know the strumming pattern? I have to go by what I hear.

If I can play it, you can play it! That much I know! Maybe someone more advanced can firgure out the licks. I didn't know how to convert it to an OPEN G?

ReplyQuote