Clear all

Paul Weller, you do something to me, acoustic

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi again everyone. Recently I went to see Weller in London, and I can definitely confirm the guy still rocks, it was just superb. He played a bunch of tunes from the Jam days, right through his solo career, wonderful stuff.

Anyway anyone who likes Weller will probably know and love this song. He played in on piano on the Stanley Road album, but in concert he sometimes plays it on acoustic. Check out the Days of Speed album for such a version.

I have put together some notes for a mate who wanted to learn this, so I have taken these notes and added a few bits for this "lesson" if you can call it that. For all you Wellerheads out there, I hope you enjoy it.

I will put the notes first and the tab of the song last, I hope it all makes sense.

The only "iffy" chord is the Bm - I have been playing it x20202 as this is really easy to get to from the previous chord, but if your barre versions up to scratch, use it.

I will walk you through the first verse and the chorus bit, once you get that far you pretty much have the whole song down.
Start off by playing the riff 1 as per the tab attached. Its pretty easy, take your time, play the open Low E and then do a long raking downstroke on the Em, thenhit the two fretted strings just before you slide to fret 4 so you hear it. Then to fret 5 as indicated.Play it exactly like the tab and you'll get it in no time at all.

You then go into straight strumming of the Em (four downstrums) when you start singing "you do...". When you get to .."me" you have to be at a D chord, he stops singing for a minute, does a rapid strum ( with a Dsus2 thrown in (open high E string) then returns to D quickly, then straight into A7 and do 4 downstrums then into Bm for "something deep...". Keep practicing this bit, its not hard but the A7 should feel like you're not on it too long, or for the Bm either, just play four straight downstrums there, then back to Em and your opening riff. You want to feel like you're playing nice steady downstrokes for all but the D section, you can do up down up down's here, with the Dsus2 thrown in to spice it up.

That gets you almost all the way though the verse. At the end "throws me back again" DON'T go back into the riff, play a bit of nice rhythmic strumming, then go back to your plain downstrokes (4 again) for "Hanging on the..,"

OK now you go to a C7 (just a regular C but use pinky to fret 3rd fret G string) for "wire" and do a bit of a fancy strum, go straight back to your A7 (your fingers are already there! Just take your pinky and 3rd ring finger off) to play your 4 downstrums while you sing "I'm" and on "waiting for the change" go to your Bm again, keep the strum pattern as 4 downs if you can. Now the great bit, fair play to whoever tabbed this.

Look at your Em. Right, concentrate on the D string, and play 2 - 1 - 0 on it, then STRAIGHT into a C. It doesn't really matter if you catch the G string, just make sure you get the D string to sound these notes properly. This is the bit from the record, dah dah dah DAH then finish off with downstrokes that get softer ending on the C and Em for "real again....". A LOT easier to play than do.

Good luck with it, its really nice on accoustic. Don't be tempted to cheat on the C7 and play a C instead, just get the C down well and plonk your pinky on, its easy...honest.

Here you go -

You do something to me – Paul Weller

Chords – Bm x20202 D xx0232 Dsus2 xx0230
A7 x02010 Em 022000 C7 x32310
“Riff One”
E ---0-------------|
B ---0-------------|
G ---0-------------|
D ---2--2/4--4-5---|
A ---2--2/4--4-5---|
E 0--0-------------|

“Riff Two”
Em C
E --0--0--0--------|-0
B --0--0--0--------|-1
G --0--0--0--------|-2
D --2--2--2-2-1-0--|-0
A --2--2--2--------|-3
E --0--0--0--------|-x

Intro –
Riff one repeated four times
straight into gentle strum of Em

Em D Dsus2 D A7
You do something to me
Bm Em (riff 1 once)
something deep inside
Em D Dsus2 D A7
I´m hanging on the wire -
(A7) Bm Em (riff 1 once)
for a love I´ll never find
Em D Dsus2 D A7
You do something wonderful
Bm Em (riff 1 once)
then chase it all away
Em D Dsus2 D A7
Mixing my emotions
Bm Em (rhythmic strum)
that throws me back again
C7 A7
Hanging on the wire,
Bm Em (riff 2)
I´m waiting for the change

(C from riff 2) G
I´m dancing through the fire,
A7 C Em
just to catch a flame - an´ feel real again

Riff one twice, into Em D A7 Bm Em
Riff one twice into Em D A7 Bm Em

C7 A7
Hanging on the wire,
Bm Em (riff 2)
I´m waiting for the change
C (from riff 2) G
I´m dancing through the fire,
A7 C Em
just to catch a flame - an´ feel real again

Em D Dsus2 D A7
You do something to me
Bm Em (riff 1)
somewhere deep inside
Em D Dsus D A7
I´m hoping to get close to -
Bm Em (riff 1)
a peace I cannot find
C7 A7
Dancing through the fire –
Bm Em (riff 2)
yeah - just to catch a flame
C G A7
Just to get close to, just close enough
C Em
- to tell you that...
Em D Dsus2 D A7
You do something to me -
Bm Em
something deep inside

Outro – play riff 1 sereral times,
slowing down, end on nice slow Em

All the best and enjoy it, post any questions and i'll try and answer them

Cheers

Matt

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Nice job, Matt! Been a fan of Weller's since the early days of the Jam...he's a very under-rated guitars, never plays a bunch of notes where one'll do the job.....

Glad you enjoyed the gig, nice to hear the man's still got it....be nice to hear some new stuff from him.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Vic

Yes, underated in the extreme i would say. The band he had (think one of the guys was from Ocean Colour Scene) was fantastic, Weller seemed to really love it, it was the last night in London of the current tour and he played for two and a half hours. The place was rocking at the end.

Great mix of songs to choose from, his back catalogue is pretty impressive.

Loved it

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@tonedeaf)
Trusted Member

i am a big weller fan from the other side of the pond... enjoy his work with the jam, style council and his solo efforts... really like his 'above the clouds' album

will give 'you do something to me' a proper listen

thanks

ReplyQuote
(@stan-ton)
Trusted Member

Yes gotta agree saw him at Newcastle city hall a few weeks ago and he was awesome. Been a fan of his since the 70s and this will be one i will make sure I nail.
Keep up the god work
Regards
Stan

ReplyQuote