Clear all

Rockin Robin - Bobby Day

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I haven't put anything here in a while and to lighten everyone's spirits as well as my own (but don't you be putting water in my whiskey Laddie!) here is an almost seasonal little ditty. Which, is unbelievably easy using only four chords. Perfect for beginners and those of us that have temporarily lost our way on the great guitar journey.(Rodders & Vic know what I mean). playing it makes me feel better anyway.

I remember little Jimmy Osmond or was it little Michael Jackson (do you know I'm not sure anymore) doing a cover of this one way back in Nineteen Hundred and frozen To Death (about 1973 or 4 I think). Go on admit it you do too don't you! Well anyone over Forty will. Vic our resident oracle will for sure!

Strum pattern? You must be joking! This is pure rock and roll man!

Anyway play it for fun this Christmas to the family if you dare!

Verse 1:

(A) He rocks in the tree tops all day long
(A) Hoppin' and a-boppin' and singing his song
(D7) All the little birdies on Jaybird Street
(A) Love to hear the robin go tweet tweet tweet

Chorus 1:

(A) Rockin' robin, rock rock
(E) Go rockin' robin
(E) Cause we're really gonna rock (A)tonight

Verse 2:

(A) Every little swallow, every chick-a-dee
(A) Every little bird in the tall oak tree
(D7)The wise old owl, the big black crow
(A) Flappin' their wings singing go bird go

Chorus 2:

(E) Go rockin' robin

Verse 3:

(D)Pretty little raven at the bird-band stand
(A)Told them to do the the bob and that was grand
(D)They started going steady and bless my soul
(E)He out-bopped the buzzard and the (A)oriole

Chorus 3:

(E) Go rockin' robin

Outro:

(A) Rockin' robin, rock rock (and fade out)

cheers all,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The version you're thinking of was by Michael Jackson, 1973 - it was in the charts around the same time as Metal Guru and Tumbling Dice....I remember it well. I was studying for my O Levels at the time, had Maths and Physids exams on my sixteenth birthday...Ahhh, the good old days, Johnny Walker playing "Time is Tight" as he read the chart rundown, Tuesdays...then played the #1 at 1.00pm....Metal Guru was #1 on my 16th Birthday...bought it with birthday money, also bought "Walk On The Wild Side" and the "Slade Alive" album....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Just about any strumming pattern works even a straight up and down because like dogsbody said "it is rock and roll".

If you under 40 and want to hear it you can find it at the top of the 1958 jukebox in this link http://www.bobforrest.com/JukeBox.htm

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Vic,

Just knew you would have the facts, at least I got the year right, I was in the second year of my apprenticeship at the time. I know why I get confused because I think the Osmonds were singing "One Bad Apple" at around the same era and that sounded just like the Jackson Five who were singing "ABC" which sounded like the Osmonds. Thank God for Slade, The Faces & Rod Stewart et al to keep us on the level then.

and thanks Nils,

What a great link to that Jukebox for our younger members.

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'll second that thank-you to Nils, some fabulous oldies there ...some old faves, and some I've never even heard of!!!

Mind you, in 1960 I was just starting nursery school (kindergarten) - but I still love a lot of the music from that era!!!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Well its about bl##dy time Chris. Well done on this one. Where you been??

I remember this one, nice and easy to play, only problem is I cant sing it high enough
cant get up there, no way :?

Well done for remembering Johnny Walkers "Time Is Tight" backing music Vic, but can you remember his theme tune :?: :?: :?: I heard it about 20 minutes ago on the Steve Wright Show.

Nice link Nils, thanks for that :wink:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@boogieman)
Trusted Member

NIls, what a great site. I'm only 35, but my parents made me listen to this stuff on the zenith lift top console. :lol: Awesome.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Glad you folks enjoyed the oldies site. That is one of my favorite oldies sites mostly because those are the songs I grew up with. Kind of overlaps my late grade school and high school years. Plus it is a nice format.

Here is another one with a couple of thousand songs but hard to navigate since it is in alphabetic order http://www.terrificmusic.com/index_long.html

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hmm Johnny Walker's theme tune - I know it was by Duane Eddy, if memeory serves me right I think it was "Because They're Young" ....I DO remember the tune.....

Maybe we'll have to dig a few Duane Eddy oldies out for this forum?

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Maybe we'll have to dig a few Duane Eddy oldies out for this forum?

Vic
I did one ages ago all though it didn't solicit any replies

Get it here>>>>>

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10857&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Don't tell Vic but that is the partial one I left him in Games & Trivia Guess that Riff for Vic

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

LMAO!!!!

I knew what it was, honest....a trip to the (cough, choke, sneeze!!!) attic and a trawl through "vinyl corner" failed to turn up any Duane Eddy LP's...however, a good look through "Cassette Corner" did turn up an "Instrumental Classics" tape or several, featuring Duane Eddy's "Because They're Young" - see, I was right about the JW theme tune! - "Peter Gunn Theme" "40 Miles of Bad Road" and.......

Rebel Rouser!

Vic

ReplyQuote