Clear all

Sailing - Rod Stewart

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Reading about Vic's holiday from hell and his live set in the hotel bar. He mentioned this one.

Oh no! I hear you all groan not "Sailing" Dogsbody has gone too far this time! But wait folks its a great number for the easy song database, dead easy to play for beginners and I've included two versions.

So please forgive me and its dedicated to Vic & Marilyn, may all your future holidays be magic.

Verse 1:

(G)I am [C]sailing, I am [Am]sailing home a[F]gain 'cross the [C]sea.

I am [D7]sailing stormy [Am]waters, to be [Dm7]near you, to be [C]free.

Verse 2:

I am flying, I am flying like a bird 'cross the sea.
I am flying passing high clouds, to be near you, to be free.

Verse 3:

Can you hear me, can you hear me, thru the dark night far away?
I am dying, forever trying to be with you; who can say?

Verse 4:

Can you hear me, can you hear me, thru the dark night far away?
I am dying, forever trying to be with you; who can say?

Verse 5:

We are sailing, we are sailing 'cross the sea.
We are sailing stormy waters, to be near you, to be free.

The big chorus er finish:

[G7]Oh Lord, to be [Dm]near you, to be [C]free.

[G7]Oh Lord, to be [Dm]near you, to be [C]free.

Or if you find the dreaded F chord difficult use these different chords:

(D7I am [G]sailing, I am sailing home a[C]gain 'cross the [G]sea.

I am [Am]sailing stormy waters, to be [Am]near you, to be [G]free.

Peace & Love

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Nice one Chris!!!!

Liverpool 1 Chelsea 0.....guess who's a very, very happy little bunny? Notice a certain Portuguese manager isn;t putting his finger to his lips and shushing the crowd tonight......

Let's say it again....LIVERPOOL 1, chelsea 0......

Think my next holiday mightbe to Istanbul......

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Vic

Better give me a couple of days to sober up, I have a feeling tomorow morning's hangover is going tobe a little on the spectacular side.....

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

terrific performance by Liverpool. Its all well and good the little guy saying only one team played. He is wrong. Both teams played, but different styles. And over 2 legs, they deserved to win.

Here's hoping they win the final and give the long suffering Kop something to sing about again.

Nice post Vic

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

I was thinking about this post of mine and do any of you UK GN members remember the BBC TV series`Sailor' that "Sailing" was the theme tune for. It was a fly on the wall documentary about life in the Royal Navy on board HMS Ark Royal, one of our last true Aircraft Carriers during her final voyage in the mid 1970's.

The reason I ask is that there was a brilliant sequence in the series showing aircraft preparing, then leaving for a training mission that used Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" as the background music. It fitted the sequence so perfectly that Pink Floyd could almost have written that song for the sequence.

Sorry to be such an "anorak" about this but it's always stuck in my memory. Maybe because I love that particular Pink Floyd tune, just brilliant guitar playing.

I'll go away now,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@mjlukin)

Hi all,

Could anyone please suggest a good strumming pattern for this song? I've listened to it but I can't work out anything that sounds good :(

Cheers,
Mark.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Try

Down / Down / downupdown Down / Down/ downupdownup

for each chord.

It really depends how "busy" you want it to sound, but this pattern will keep it moving along nicely.

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@mjlukin)

Matt,

I tried it out and it sounds good.

Thanks for helping me out.

Cheers!

ReplyQuote