Clear all

Sitting, Waiting, Wishing - Jack Johnson

16 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@hawken)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Sat down with this one for a minute last night....real easy. Sounds great on an acoustic....use barre chords mixed with a steady strum rhythm (sometimes just hitting the muted strings to get that percussive sound and keep the beat) and you'll be good to go.

Progression for Verses:

Am, G, F, C

Chorus:

E7 (open), Am

Didn't figure out the bridge yet, but once I get a chance I'll add it...unless someone beats me to it.

(@cabreraluvr7)
Estimable Member

thats cool! :D

ReplyQuote
(@matthew)
Trusted Member

It's a great song to play, pretty easy if you have your barre cords down.

And this is a great tab of it:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/j/jack_johnson/sitting_waiting_wishing_crd.htm

It's the same chords as yours, but it says to lift your pinky on the last few beats of each to get the 7th of it. Sounds great.

The chorus I don't reall like. The tab says E, you say E7. I say both.

I play a few beats of E then a few beats of E7, then I switch to alternating Am and Am7 as the tab says again.

If you like this song, then you should also try "Better Together".
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/j/jack_johnson/better_together_ver4_tab.htm

"Now people put you down for the way that you lived
But those people never knew you the way that I did
Don't be ashamed of who you were of how you died
I know you just wanted to find the brighter side..." - OPM

- Matthew

ReplyQuote
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member

Yeah Jack Johnson has great acoustic songs.. :)

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

ReplyQuote
(@jubby)
Trusted Member

he changes chords so quickly and with all the mutes and slides, wow. It's a good thing he is a pro surfer, because if he had a real job he would have never become that good

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

he changes chords so quickly and with all the mutes and slides, wow. It's a good thing he is a pro surfer, because if he had a real job he would have never become that good

Jack's songs really aren't too hard to learn. You just need to get a feel for his style. Then again, I use slides and mutes in my own style so maybe it just comes naturally to me... :wink:

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@jubby)
Trusted Member

I love his style, its just kinda difficult for me now.

the first thing i ever learned on guitar was the better together intro, a friend showed me how to read tab and the lightbulb went on :D

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member

OK, after hours of frustratiion, I'm hoping someone can help me with this one.

I'm having a very difficult time with the C and C7 in the verse progression. I've tried playing it using my index finger to barre at the 3rd fret, and my middle, ring, and pinkie fingers to fret the B, G, and D strings at the 5th. And, I can hit that (sometimes). But I can't, for the life of me, raise my ring finger from the G string to get the C7.

Any suggestions?

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

OK, after hours of frustratiion, I'm hoping someone can help me with this one.

I'm having a very difficult time with the C and C7 in the verse progression. I've tried playing it using my index finger to barre at the 3rd fret, and my middle, ring, and pinkie fingers to fret the B, G, and D strings at the 5th. And, I can hit that (sometimes). But I can't, for the life of me, raise my ring finger from the G string to get the C7.

Any suggestions?

You're fingering it right. The almost too obvious answer is to just keep practicing it. But I know you don't really need to hear that so in all honest, just play the C. No one is going to really notice. I can do the switch from C to C7, but Im really too lazy to do that. No one has ever commented on that to me, and my friend who is a huge Jack fan hasn't noticed. He also plays guitar so I expected him to catch me.

If you want to play it the "right" way though, just practice. Form the chord and keep lifting your ring finger until it just becomes habit. It does take a while to learn.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@matthew)
Trusted Member

Move WAY up the neck =)

His C C7th is F style barre cord on the 8th fret then lift the pinky for the 7th

This song sounds nice with all barre cords (other than the bridge and E in the chrous, but really that IS a barre cord)

Am, Am7th 5th fret
G, G7th 3rd fret
F, F7th 1st fret
C, C7th 8th fret

Good Luck

"Now people put you down for the way that you lived
But those people never knew you the way that I did
Don't be ashamed of who you were of how you died
I know you just wanted to find the brighter side..." - OPM

- Matthew

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the responses.

Matthew, your way is actually way more "do-able" for me. That helps a lot. And I think it sounds pretty good. "Good" being a relative term given my still sloppy barre chord ability. But I'm working on it.

Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
(@hawken)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Takes a bit to get it down...but once you learn one of his tunes others will come really easy. He tends to use similar strumming patterns in a lot of his songs.

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Found his homepage hear http://www.jackjohnsonmusic.com You can listen to and watch the full video of "Sitting Wishing Waiting", which is great if you have never heard of him like me.
Where have I been ?????

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member

Takes a bit to get it down...but once you learn one of his tunes others will come really easy. He tends to use similar strumming patterns in a lot of his songs.

I'm kinda struggling with his strummingpattern... you couldn't tell me please? :roll:

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

ReplyQuote
(@sjt1316)
Trusted Member

I use the open C (032010) and open C7 (032310) and think it sounds just fine...

--Steve
If you're enjoying it, are you still a struggling artist??
D~~n the man, save the Empire!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2