Clear all

Travis. Why does it always rain on me?

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hello again everyone! I haven't done a song for a while but someone reminded me earlier on that I had promised to put a Travis song up. So here goes. And given the weather here in the UK at the moment, its very approproate!!!

Travis have had a lot of hits here in the UK, I am not sure how well they do outside the UK so this one might only interest UK players, let me know!

First things first. Stick a capo on fret 2!!!
Here are the chord shapes. The one in brackets is a “cheat” chord for the Bm for those of you that can't get to grips with the barre version – it will do just as well.
Chords
D xx0232
Bm x24432 (or xx4432)
G 320033
G/F# 2x0033
Em7 020033
Am x02210
C x32010
C/b x20010
Am7 x 02010

The song is in 4/4 time and starts out with a short cello intro so we won't bother with that, then the drums come in, then there's a short strummed intro, D, Am, G, G/f# and Em7. BUT NOTE TIMING, the D and Am are held for 4 beats (see strum pattern) then you go to G for 2 beats, G/F# for 2 beats (make sure you can hear the bass descend on the low E string from the 3rd fret to the second fret) and then its back to four beats of Em7. Note that throughout all the sections where this little descending bass comes in, you can keep your pinky and ring fingers firmly planted on the 3rd fret of the high E and the B strings. I have given a way of playing the desceding bass a little later, read on....

You then go into the “I can't sleep at night” part. The best way (in my opinion anyway) to play this is a really firm downstroke on the D chord and let it ring for 8 beats while you sing the first line. The same goes for the Bm on the second line and so on – all the chords are held here for 2 bars, so its 2 lots of 4. Once you get that opening section over with the fun starts with the strumming.

STRUM PATTERNS
The song uses a couple of patterns that are quite similar. The first pattern is your regular D D Dudu (One, Two, Three and four and..). Mix that up with a pattern that goes D D D Du (one two three four and..) and you will have a nice pattern that you can repeat for all the strummed sections. You want a feeling that the song is bouncing along, so do try and be as rhythic as possible for this part.

Further timing issues.
The biggest issue is getting the G – G/F# - Em7 section right. In the pre-chorus part “I get the strangest feeling…” its two beats of G, two beats of G/F# and four beats of Em7. I suggest you do a pick on the low E string for your first beat of the G, followed by a downstrum on the second beat, then repeat this for the G/F#, then go back to “regular” strumming on the Em7. This sounds pretty effective.

On the chorus do the same.

Theres one more thing to add that spices this up nicely. At the end when you get to the “its so cold” part, the chords go C – C/b – Am7. Its important that you get the descending bass on the A string right here. This is best played by playing the C for 2 beats, the C/b for 2 beats, then the Am7 for 4. But the clever bit is picking the A, D and G strings on each chord so its
CPick A string fretted at 3
Pick D string freeted at 2
Pick open D

Change to C/b
Repeat picking – use same strings

Change to Am7Repeat picking again. End the Am7 section by fretting the 3rd string of the low E string before going into your Asus4 chord. Note also that the Asus4 and the A are both full chords, held for 4 beats each.

End it with a nice full downstrum on the D chord.

And that just about wraps it up folks. Do PM me if you're struggling with this or ask a question on the furum.

All the best. Matt. Here's the full song….
Intro
D / Bm / Am / G (G/F#) / Em7

Verse one

D (one strum and let ring)
I can't sleep tonight
Bm (one strum and let ring)
Everybody saying everything's alright
Still I can't close my eyes
Bm (one strum and let ring)
I'm seeing a tunnel at the end of all these lights

Pre - chorus (STRUMMING STARTS)
G A
Sunny days
G A
Where have you gone?
G G/F# Em7 A A
I get the strangest feeling you belong

chorus
D A
Why does it always rain on me?
G G/F# Em7
Is it because I lied when I was seventeen?
D A
G/F# G/F#
Even when the sun is shining
Em7
I can't avoid the lightning

I can't stand myself
Bm (one strum)
I'm being held up by an invisible man
D (one strum)
Still life on a shelf when
Bm (one strum)
I got my mind on something else

D A
G G/F# Em7
D A
G/F# G/F#
Em7
Bm D
Oh, where did the blue skies go?
Bm D
And why is it rain-ing so?
C C/b Am7 (see notes)
………………………..It's so cold

Asus4 A

D (one strum)
I can't sleep tonight
Bm (one strum)
Everybody's saying everything's all right
D
Still I can't close my eyes
Bm
I'm seeing a tunnel at the end of the lights

G A
Sunny days
G A
Where have you gone?
G G/F# Em7 A A
I get the strangest feeling you belong

D A
G G/F# Em7
D A
G/F# G/F#
Em7

D Am G G/F# Em7
D Am G G/F# Em7
Why does it always rain on....
D
(On)…….

(@oktay)
Reputable Member

Couple of years ago there was an Oasis show here in New York at the Radio City Music Hall. The opener was a band called Travis lead by a vocalist that had a few words to say in between each song. I loved the band from the start (you know how you don't usually love a band the first time you're hearing them without knowing any of their songs). Without this opening band I would have not enjoyed the night as much as I am not a big Oasis fan. Some people actually left after Travis and didn't see Oasis.

By the way, they are pretty big in the US as well although I imagine there would be alot of people who haven't heard of them (big country).

Thanks a lot for posting the song. I will definetely give it a go. This is a great song.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

I mentioned how they opened for Oasis when they weren't too big yet. This makes the lyrics to one of their songs pretty interesting..

It goes

"The radio is playing all the usual
What's a Wonderwall anyway"

:)

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I don't know this one, I'll look it up.

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

I can post an mp3 for a live recording. I believe a lot of bands don't mind bootlegged stuff. I don't know it specifically for Travis though. (not that I care personally. just out of respect for guitarnoise. don't want to get anyone in trouble)

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Thanks, but no.

I subscribe to Napster and Yahoo Music, and I can always buy it from itunes

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Good band, but I hate this song....reminds me of Walton Prison, 2001....it was always on the radio.....

"Why does it always rain on me?"

Duh....cos you're standing under a great big black cloud......

Well that's how I felt at the time.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rjn24601)

Hey ya'll! I'm a newbie here- been playing guitar for almost six weeks. But I practise a LOT!

Matt- I've been trying to get a good Tab for Driftwood by Travis- any thoughts? Or maybe you have a good version?

Thanks!

Ryan

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I will post Driftwood on here over the next few days. Good song!

Watch this space

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@rjn24601)

Terrific! Thanks, Matt!

On a side note- last time Travis played here in Minneapolis my wife and I got to go up on stage with the band! We were in the second row for the show and it was fantastic.

Doug (the bass player) even gave me a big hug! Awesome show. Great guys!

ReplyQuote