Clear all

Wheat Kings - sp?

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@j-rock)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm still having trouble figuring out the strumming pattern to some songs. Listening to the bass line has helped me on some songs. Another problem I have is I can't hear where the chord changes are all the time. Any how can anyone help me with the strumming pattern and chord changes to wheat kings by The Hip.

I can look back with a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent.

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Sounds to me like a dud udu sort of strum. chords used sound like G and C. hope that helps. Sundown on the Paris of the prarie.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@rexlander)

J Rock,
I have not been able to figure out exactly what the strumming pattern is yet. I think it is somehow strummed in 1/16th notes, but have not seemed to get it down quite right yet. Just sounds off.
The chords are simply G and C for most of the song, but I do not believe that they are evenly spaced out. I think that the G is played for half a measure then the C for a measure and a half, or something like that.

So far I have soemthing like this:

[G]D..UDU[C]D..U.U.UDU

Then repeat. But like I say, it just does not sound quite right to me.

Let me know if you come up with anything

And I am having trouble getting the sound of the loons at the beginning...

Keep your stick on the ice!

ReplyQuote
(@canucks12)
Trusted Member

Can anyone out there add some life to this song? I'm a dummy with figuring out strum paterns.

ReplyQuote
(@sparrow-aka-honor-roller)
Trusted Member

So far I have soemthing like this:

[G]D..UDU[C]D..U.U.UDU

I think this is close. haven't practised this song in a while. i think if you alternate between udu and say u..u
or u.du
or ud.u
or accent certain strums
I think the trick is to keep it fluid, play single notes and switch up the timing/rhythm of the strumming so it's not so mathematical/boring.

Here's how i play it
[G]d..udu[C]d..u.du..d

i find this sounds pretty good when you play the bass 2 or 3 strings for the first strum on each chord and play the remainder with the high strings. Or figure out how to play the runs in with it, which i don't know how to do...

ReplyQuote