74 Posts
28 Users
0 Likes
31.9 K Views
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Woohoo! Just returning from a long hiatus and found this. The scale stuff was just what I needed. Thanks Nils.

P.S. A '50 Pan!!!! DROOL! DROOL! DROOL!!!

Okay, so now I have to raid Joe's place for gear and yours for the get away vehicle... :P :twisted: :shock: :D
Tis my pleasure. Enjoy

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

Thanks alot for the charts and stuff. very useful!!! :D
jamesgrubb

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Your welcome. Hope it helps you

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

After years of study, analysis, trial and error, and a lot of late nights I created a "capo chord conversion chart" for open chords. Actually, I just copied it from somewhere and made it prettier.

Hey, nobody asked for it but what the heck it's free. :lol:

If you are interested it is on my "chord conversion" page.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

Hey Nils,

Don't know if this is possible, but is there a way to convert Open Tuning Chords to regular Chords.

ie: I just got the new Guitar World with the Keith Richards interview. It shows several riffs he's done, but alas all is in Open G or something else.

They have two Stones Tab : Start Me Up and Jumpin Jack Flash. I want to learn Jumpin Jack Flash, but it's in Open E.

I not at the point where I would want tune my guitar for only one song, so is there anyway to transpose the chords?

Kenny

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hey Nils,

Don't know if this is possible, but is there a way to convert Open Tuning Chords to regular Chords.

I not at the point where I would want tune my guitar for only one song, so is there anyway to transpose the chords?

Kenny
My first thought was when you change the tuning you play the same chords as standard tuning for a different sound. However, that is not what you are asking. You want to know what for example an E chord played in drop D would equate to in standard tuning so you get the same sound without changing the tuning. I am not sure if that is doable since I think you would get some really weird chord formations. I can see how something like that would be handy since I don't like to change tunings myself.

I need to think this out some unless someone else has an idea.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

excellent site,really useful stuff on there.I'm off to practice my scales,something I should of done 20years ago!
cheers

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

excellent site,really useful stuff on there.I'm off to practice my scales,something I should of done 20years ago!
cheers
Thank you.. Enjoy

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Of course you can transpose those chords, by analyzing the tunings of the individual strings. You may not be able to play them, though.

Open G: DGDGBD, low to high

Standard: EADGBE, " "

Open G and "standard" tuning are the same on strings 2-4. (They're numbered from high to low.) String 1 is D in Open G, E in "standard." So any note on string 1 (the high D) in Open G will be 2 frets closer to the nut in "standard." Likewise, strings 5 & 6 are tuned a full step higher in standard than in Open G, so anything on them is two frets closer to the nut.

It's a lot easier to retune to Open G and play it the way Keef does. I don't understand why many folks get so freaked out about using "alternate" tunings. They're part of the guitar tradition from the earliest days.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Hey Nils,

ie: I just got the new Guitar World with the Keith Richards interview. It shows several riffs he's done, but alas all is in Open G or something else.

They have two Stones Tab : Start Me Up and Jumpin Jack Flash. I want to learn Jumpin Jack Flash, but it's in Open E.

Kenny
I can tab JJF out for you in standard tuning if you'd like// UPDATE_ I just put it in the easy song Database

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Looking back at the original question a few posts back "Can we create a conversion chart for chords to reduce the need for alternate tuning a guitar". Well. I am glad this came back up because I forgot to post my findings.

The simple answer is yes. Like Ricochet said you can convert the chords by finding the replacement note in the alternate tuning. I did exactly what he suggested awhile ago and came up with some really weird fingerings that were playable but very difficult. I did also come up with a lot of fingerings that were the same as some standard chords but now with a different name. It was like re-learning all chords and additionally having to remember what each one was now called for each alternate tuning. For example, the E chord shape could have a different name in each tuning.

The chart would also be massive and would not even be complete. And when I realized how big this effort would be I decided that I would rather buy anyone who needed an extra guitar for alternate tuning that extra guitar (only kidding).

Since it is probably easier to figure it out one song at a time (like Teleplayer did) and unless someone with more time on their hands than me can take this on I don't think it will happen.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Hey Nils,

Kenny
My first thought was when you change the tuning you play the same chords as standard tuning for a different sound. However, that is not what you are asking. You want to know what for example an E chord played in drop D would equate to in standard tuning so you get the same sound without changing the tuning. I am not sure if that is doable since I think you would get some really weird chord formations. I can see how something like that would be handy since I don't like to change tunings myself.

I need to think this out some unless someone else has an idea.

I thought I read in a tab somewhere that if you use a capo you can sometimes simulate alternate tuning's. I wish I could remember the song I was looking at but it was for Drop D tuning and the tab author said to use a capo on the 2nd fret and then use the chords he provided...?

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Mike, I think you can come close on a couple of alternate tunings but not too many since the alternates tend to go up on some strings and down on others or just change one or two strings.

If every strings goes up equally then a capo would work.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A partial capo can never duplicate an alternate tuning. They can only affect the "starting point" for unfretted strings. They don't change the overall tension of the strings as retuning does.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5