Clear all

A good, cheap bass overdrive pedal?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, guys. As the subject might have suggested, I'm looking for a good, cheap bass overdrive pedal. At the moment I'm borrowing my friend's Boss Bass Overdrive (OD3, I think?) and my god, my god, it is SO bad. I can't stand it.

Anyone know of a good pedal with a slightly warmer overdrive, not that harsh, hissy distortion that the Boss gives? I don't want full distortion or dirt or anything; I just want a little bit of breakup. (I'm now thinking maybe I wouldn't like as much attack, with the overdrive, as I have clean...I've got aluminum cones in my 4x10, so there isn't anything to do about that.) I can't really describe the sound I want. The only words that come to mind are warm, round, fuzzy...overdriven.

Sorry for the convoluted post - I just can't seem to express myself the way I want to.

-lunchmeat

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Since "cheap" is an important factor, you should look into the Behringer BDI21.

Over on Talkbass there was a blind comparison with the expensive Tech21 Sansamp BDDI upon which it was modeled. The Behringer did amazingly well, and will give you a variety of tube-like overdriven sounds.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294957

For samples of sounds you can get with the Sansamp (and therefore also with the Behringer), go here: [link removed]

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@awkwardness)

ehx muff is the only way to go. so if your looking for the best inbetween, get the double muff. its the best ever.

it gives you both a slight overdrive and the fuzz.

ReplyQuote