17 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

G'day, All...

Okay, my ear's fixed...all my retirement tax hassles are in order...and I'm FINALLY getting to set up the studio in it's dedicated building here on the farm.

Question: anyone have any words to share regarding the C-24??? It's bundled with ProTools HD...and I'm soon to be the owner of one. I could only shop around looking at websites for similar stuff...but seeing how GREAT the M Boxes are...I'm hoping it was a good choice.

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

AND!!!

Is a Pro Mac 8 core really needed or will the 4 core do just as well???

Sure was easier strollin' into someone else's studio without worrying as to what actually was going on in the equipment.

Cat

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Aaaak! Okay...no-one's got a clue so it'll be up to me to give a complete report on what this stuff does.

Going to Mr Bank today with my financials...seeing this is like getting a new car.

(Saints preserve me getting this past the wife, too!)

Cat

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

A C-24 is something like US$10K so you should be able to get some competent help from Digidesign on the required hardware. Now, IIRC, the HD series is almost all DSP based and the stuff that runs on the host computer isn't any of the audio processing but is instead doing just the UI (user interface) and the IO (input/output - writing to disk, key events and such) so the load on it isn't that high. You would probably be ok with a quad core (single Xeon chip) Mac Pro - heck you might even be ok with an iMac if you could fit one of those PCIe cards into it. However if you're spending all that money on this setup I would check with those actually using this hardware or the company itself. This is probably all out of the league of all of us here.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

G'day, All...

Okay, my ear's fixed...all my retirement tax hassles are in order...and I'm FINALLY getting to set up the studio in it's dedicated building here on the farm.

Question: anyone have any words to share regarding the C-24??? It's bundled with ProTools HD...and I'm soon to be the owner of one. I could only shop around looking at websites for similar stuff...but seeing how GREAT the M Boxes are...I'm hoping it was a good choice.

Cat

I know three folks using HD. One uses a quad core, and two uses an 8 core. They all seem pretty happy with the performance, and one of the 8 core users is up for a few Grammys this year

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yeah...thanks for all the input. I've used GREAT boards loaded with PT/HD at work but now that I'm "studioless"...I gotta get something adequate. This is BY FAR the best value out there...but not at all cheap.

Hey! $10K for the board is about right...but the PT/HD is a similar ADDED cost!!!! Here, it's (in Aussie bucks) just over $30K for the 4-core, board, software and two 24inch plasma screens. I had trouble with a delivery of the board (stolen, insurance refund hassles/police report/and charges against the delivery a-hole)...so now I need to redo the whole order...on a charge card...since the small bizz loan won't go through without serial numbers and the sales dep't won't gimme serial numbers without payment first...so it's now up to me using a credit card aaaaaaaaggggghhhh!

So I guess in a month I'll have it set up...

Sheesh! 'Tis true: nuthin' difficult is ever easy!

Cat

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Mr Different Bank say...okay...so will advise ya'll as soon as I gets me greedy mitts on it! Gee...a late Chrissy present for Yours Truly. That's okay!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!!!

Cat

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

An update:

Mr Bank has coughed up and I've got the equipment maybe a week away as far as delivery goes. Thank GOODNESS I didn't need to use a 19.99% APR charge card!

Digidesign C-24
ProMac 8 core
twin 24" plasma screens
Moog key synth
Dynaudio Acoustics (BM6A Mk2) powered monitors
some Beyer headphones (DT-770-PRO)
some AKG K-44's
some Shure 57's & 58's
a zillion cables, pop filters, stands, etc.

The BIGGEST shock (price wise) was the ProTools HD...their full blown/whole enchilada software...for $13K...ouch!!!

I PROMISE to give a few feedback posts starting from setting all this up to my first taste of what comes out of it all!

Gee, Cat...how many more sleeps??? I'm twitchin' over this!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meow

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Maybe I should entitle this post "Waiting For Godot"??? I'm waiting for the ProTools HD card...the latest 2010 edition...and like if I had a beard...it'd be going grey!

Still...you loonies can expect an accounting of this "new toy" from opening the box to my first progress...

Until then...my thumbs'll twiddle!

Cat

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Geez...still waiting on that ProTools HD card. So, how long do I get to twiddle my thumbs??? That's life in Australia, I guess. :?

Cat

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Maybe the dingo ate your Protools card?

Sorry Cat I had to write that. It's a Seinfeld reference

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

No sweat...but maybe there's a wild dingo in downtown Brisbane that got into the shop. They offered to give me a card "salvaged" from a ProMac they have in the store on the floor...but "salvage"...at $13,000...I don't think so!

Now I'm being bombarded by ARGOSY...a company that makes dessks for boards. Geez...$1900 for chipboard covered with naugahide??? I don't think so!

I got the money from the bank...and have a Cashier's Check waiting to hand over...and here comes my first monthly payment back to the bank. Do I have the equipment yet? I don't think so!!!

Well...the suspense is killin' me. Still, I did take home a MOOG Little Phatty and I'm getting used to it over those great headphones...figuring out which sounds will color what's in my mind for my compositions.

Geez, these C-24 posts are turning into a blog, huh? So, I'll shut up about it until I have the stuff in front of me. :?

Cat

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

So...here it is OVER a couple of weeks later and they have everything BUT the ProTools HD Card. So...okay, I'll accept a "loaner" card until the new one arrives but NOT ownership of a salvaged one! Mmy insurance company will insure the loaner (@$13,000) in case I fook it up while I have it.

The long and short of it is, you guys out there in GN LAND can expect a product description next week some time!

(Heck...I'm told it's worth the wait, so....) :wink:

Cat

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Okay...Wednesday this stuff's all here from the USA. (Famous last woids???) Still, I have to accept a "loaner" software card (PT/HD1) until they get the PT/HD2 shipped in...

Cat

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Okay...I got all this stuff. But...GEEZ!!!, it ain't something you just "plug in"!!! Okay...gimme a week and I'll have it up and running with a commentary on everything. :?

Cat

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2