Skip to content
[b]How can you hook...

Notifications
Clear all

[b]How can you hook up one set of headphones to two sources?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@geonjules)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Wanting to know if I could hook up my CD player and guitar to one set of headphones for private jam.
I looked on the for some type of splitter cable, with no luck. :?:

" Thoughts that pay homage to frustration will attract frustration. When you say or think theres nothing I can do,my life has spun out of control,and I'm trapped,thats what you will attract ".

(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

No, you can´t connect 2 signal sources directly with a cable to one load.
You need a small mixer to connect CD player, Guitar, etc to a set of headphones.
Or you could use a small guitar amp with a CD-input and headphone output.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
 Sik
(@sik)
Eminent Member

You could connect the guitar to say the left head-phone speaker and the CD player to the right speaker - but you would have to mix the left and right signal from the CD player into the one speaker. As voltages to headphones are relatively low, this should be able to be done with to 100 Ohm resistors,
one for the + wire for each channel. Earth should be common for CD left, right and the guitar. Just ask if you need more info.

Regards,
-Sik

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The problem that you'd face, with direct connection, is the balancing of the volumes from the guitar and the CD. Guitar output is very weak, whereas the CD is already at headphone or line level. Just connect your guitar, directly to a pair of phones and listen for any sound.
As kalle says, you can use a mixer, which will also come in handy for recording to your computer, for both guitar and voice.
You could use a personal guitar amp, like the Pandora (not cheap, but very good little amp) or you could use a small amp, with both Line-In and Guitar-In plus headphone out.
Another option is the Tascam CD-GT1, which is a guitar trainer. It has a built-in CD player (you can change playback in both pitch and speed) and guitar input with several effects - and, of course, headphone out. Again not cheap, but a very good and portable solution. It also offers the ability to loop sections of a track (again at different speed and or pitch).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Sik
(@sik)
Eminent Member

The problem that you'd face, with direct connection, is the balancing of the volumes from the guitar and the CD. Guitar output is very weak, whereas the CD is already at headphone or line level. Just connect your guitar, directly to a pair of phones and listen for any sound.

---snip---

I was assuming he had a pre-amp for the guitar, if he doesn't, you are absolutely right. The output of a guitar pickup is normally around 40-80 mV and you would need to bring this up to about 1V or more. There are some kit's available that will do this for less than $20 AUD. If you have any electronic experience, I could post a diagram for a dirt cheap preamp.

Regards,
-Sik

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

If you have any electronic experience, I could post a diagram for a dirt cheap preamp.
Regards,
-Sik
Please do .. might be a fun little project to build a little headphone amp.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
 Sik
(@sik)
Eminent Member

Actually, I found one simpler than the one I have here (and it's multi purpose):

http://www.redcircuits.com/Page96.htm

-Sik

ReplyQuote