Notifications
Clear all

Big Muff

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mrdaveyk)
Topic starter  

hey guys recently my pedal has been playing up and im lost without my muff..neways, ill plug it all fine, but it wont work, when i turn the pedal on only then it works it wont send any guitar signal through unless the effect is switched on.... this means it also cuts out any other pedals i got when the effect is off, no matter where it is placed in the pedal circuit. its got a great sound and would hate to think i have to buy another. any help is apprciated.

Davey
:wink:

(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member

Sounds like a bypass problem.

I'm not too well-versed on this stuff, but if I were you I'd check the footswitch itself for any problems, and failin that, you'll have to find a wiring diagram and check that nothing is loose. A thrid possibility is tht the pedal, in clean position, is sending your signal to ground - which could also indicate a loose wire. This is just speculation.

For the time being, I wouldn't use the pedal - if there's no signal, and you're not sure where it's going, it may not be safe to use the device. If it's going to ground, you're probably okay, but y'never know.

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Maybe the battery is flat.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@mrdaveyk)
Topic starter  

if the battery was flat it would work when the effect is on lol, thanks for your advice lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
(@mrdaveyk)
Topic starter  

ok guys been wrestling with pedal most of night until i gave up and went to pub but thats not the point. there are no loose cables i even powered the pedal by mains in case aswell, what i did find was that both signals are being sent through, whereas the volume of effect is as it should be, loud, if i turn my amp up FULL i can slightly hear my guitar when the effect is off, i think this pedal hates me, any more help guys? davey

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

ok guys been wrestling with pedal most of night until i gave up and went to pub but thats not the point. there are no loose cables i even powered the pedal by mains in case aswell, what i did find was that both signals are being sent through, whereas the volume of effect is as it should be, loud, if i turn my amp up FULL i can slightly hear my guitar when the effect is off, i think this pedal hates me, any more help guys? davey
If there are no loose/disconnected cables, then I'd say that one of them has broken inside the insulation where you can't see it, or your switch is broken. The switch is probably more likely. If you have a circuit tester then I'd see if the pins are connected as you'd expect them to be with the switch in each position, like this:

1 4 When the switch is in one position, pin 2 will connect to pin 1 and
2 5 pin 5 will connect to pin 4. In the other position, pin 2 will connect
3 6 to pin 3 and pin 5 to pin 6. Nothing else should be connected.

Turning the amp up full and hearing it very slightly is a good sign that it's a problem with the ground part of the signal rather than the hot, according to someone I knew a long time ago. Something about capacitive coupling working for a very slight ground effect, which is something that doesn't happen with the hot. Sounded like rubbish to me, but he was right on that particular occasion and I don't know any better, so I'm going with it for the time being :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote