Notifications
Clear all

cab impedance

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@ajfloods)
Topic starter  

hey so i just bought a jcm 900 and amp currently using 2 heads in my set up.
my 6505+ is hooked up to my orange 412 and the jcm is hooked up to my orange 212.

i was wondering on each amp i should just hook 1 speaker cable to a cab? or have 2 speaker cables from each amp to it's each cab?

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

It should be just a matter of matching impedence. The first output on the JCM is a 4 ohm right? I don't remember it's been a while. Anyway, as long as you're going from 4 ohm output to 4 ohm load(or 8 to 8), you should be ok. You don't have to have both outputs connected to a speaker.

Edit: is this a tone question? I would get a splitter like this one:

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-switchbone.htm

That way you could use both heads or switch between one or the other. You could have a seperate effects chain for each amp or have a universal effects chain for both. Lots of possibilities.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@ajfloods)
Topic starter  

hmm cause sometime i see bands who have both the outputs hooked up to both inputs on the cabs.
ohh and i use an echo park to split the signal and am going to buy a boss ls-2.

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

hmm cause sometime i see bands who have both the outputs hooked up to both inputs on the cabs.
I just don't see how this is a good idea. If you hook up both amps to both cabs I can't help but think it would cause some problems. Just thinking out loud here but, you have a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm output on each amp. Each cab may have a 4 and 8 ohm input. One is likely a series input(the 8 ohm) and the other is likely a parallel input(the 4 ohm). I would think that one of the inputs would either cancel the other one out or in the case of a stereo 2x12 you would be driving one "side" of the cabinet too hard or at the least harder than the other side.

I could be way off here so don't take my word for it. Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable members will chime in.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

It is fine to hook up two cabs to an amp as long as you don't go under the minimum ohms rating of the amp. Look on the back of your amp(s) for a notice like this "4 ohms minimum" or something similar. Now, if both cabs are rated 8 ohms total impedence, then you could safely run them off this particular amp. However, if one or both cabs is rated 4 ohms, wired parallel (they usually are), then you have an impedence load below 4 ohms. This will cause too much current to flow through the amp, it can overheat very quickly and damage it. So check the minimum impedence your amp was designed to operate at, and check the impedence of each cab before trying this.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Great info Wes. The other thing was that he wants to run TWO heads into Both cabs. So, output from both heads into both cabs. Is this ok?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Great info Wes. The other thing was that he wants to run TWO heads into Both cabs. So, output from both heads into both cabs. Is this ok?

Hmmm... I have only a basic knowledge of electronics, so not really sure what that would do. I am sure someone at sometime or another has tried this, but I've never seen anybody do it. It seems like it would be easy to overpush the speakers and damage them if the amps were cranked up a bit.

And if one cab is 4 ohms while the other is 8, the 4 ohm cab will be much louder than the 8 ohm, you probably won't be able to hear the 8 ohm cab unless you are right up close to it.

Those are most likely stereo amplifiers going into a stereo cab. I have never really gotten this stereo cab stuff, how much stereo effect are you gonna get from speakers seperated a few inches? :roll:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote