Clear all

Digitech GNX3000 vs RP355

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@jatego)
Topic starter  

Hi,

I am planning to buy an used effect unit that is not too complicated to program and I would like to know the main differences between those two fine multieffects.

I am not much of a tweeker guy, in fact I am planning to download many of already presets from the community...and I have no previous experience with this multieffects thing, so SIMPLICITY is very important issue. I also dont have an amp, I go out through PA, so Modeling is very important, but again i dont need to be choosing between 32 different cab models and mics!.

What I know is that RP355 is newer technology with audio DNA2 and also has a better drum machine and looper, so it just feels logical to go this way. It also (seems) simpler and easier to work with, but... is it too simpler than GNX3000? What things I would be missing that are inside the GNX3000?

Thanks a lot for your input.

Javier

(@kopfschmerzen)
Trusted Member

I can't compare those two units directly, but I have strong computer background, so here are my two cents:

All those digital things, starting from some level, have a digital interface that serves three purposes:

1) Use a device for recording;
2) Work with presets (store, backup, edit);
3) Update the device's firmware.

If you get an older device (and I think GNX3000 is an old one), you get problems with drivers for your newer operating system. So, I would always advise to get a newer device, even if it has less footswitches :) or you may be not able to connect your device to a PC one day.

Besides, digital stuff is being developed fast, so, a newer device should have better algorithms and should sound better (mostly noticeable with distortion emulation).

I have RP90 which I don't use these days. It sounded pretty well for me, but it had faulty footswitches, so if you buy a used Digitech unit, check the footswitches carefully.

ReplyQuote
(@jatego)
Topic starter  

Hey, thanks a lot for your comment. I had disregarded this issue, but you might be right,
cheers,
Javier

ReplyQuote