Clear all

effects loop?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jtb226)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

alright everyone. this is kind of a beginner question because i've never really used the effects loop in an amp before. however, i'd like to start because i feel like it would cause less tap dancing on my part. right now, i have a DOD tuna, Boss AC2 Acoustic Sim, and Dunlop Wah. I tried these through the effects loop (ok, not the tuner, but the other 2) and neither one sounded good. tomorrow, i'm trading in a crate blue voodoo 4x12 on some pedals. i'm getting the electro-harmonix holy grail reverb, boss CS3 compressor, boss CE5 chorus ensemble, and either the Boss OS3 octaver or Boss TR2 Tremolo (haven't decided which one. suggestions?) so i was thinking a hybrid setup with some pedals in front and some in the effects loop would be good. which ones would i be able to put in the effects loop without them sounding like crap? any? i play through a Mesa Dual Rectifier and 2 Mesa 4x12's. i also have an SKB pedalboard which can take 2 loops through it (kinda doesn't really matter in this sense, but from a wiring perspective, it helps b/c it keeps all the cables together). thanks for all your help.

"Heavy decibels are playing on my guitar
We got vibrations comin' up from the floor
We're just listenin' to the rock
That's givin' too much noise....
Rock and roll ain't noise pollution"
~AC/DC

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

General wisdom says that you put the effects, that modify the sound (distortion, OD, Wah, etc) between guitar and preamp (i.e. amp input).
Those that are time based (flanger, chorus, delay, etc) are put into the effects loop.
The reason is that the pre-amp can also be (and more often than not, is) used to modify the sound, by adding gain. Putting the guitar through, for example, an overdrive pedal, followed by reverb (or delay), followed by more overdrive, from the pre-amp stage of your amp, will probably not sound good.
Get the right sound, from your overdrive stages (pedal & pre-amp), then add the reverb/delay, in the effects loop.

If you google "guitar effects sequence" you'll get hundreds of hits, all with different suggestions. Try some out and see which you like the best.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

When I run my chorus in the loop I get a lot of feedback any idea why?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@jtb226)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

not a clue here. i'm just getting started with using an effects loop. i've never really run any effects before.

believe it or not, i am actually having a hard time finding examples of what i should be putting where and whatnot. i can't even play around with the stuff tonight cause the stupid music store was closed and i couldn't get my stuff! who is closed the day after Christmas?!? honestly! lol.

~AC/DC

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

When I run my chorus in the loop I get a lot of feedback any idea why?

I had the same thing with my looper pedal plugged into the effects loop when my battery was low. Also, could the level be turned to high on the chorus. Also, I dont have my chorus in the effects loop. Wonder if I should.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Greybeard is correct about distortions and Wahs going straight into the amp, timed based effects through the loop.

Here is a really great article about effects order. While nothing is set in stone, these are excellent recommendations.

http://users.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/fx-order.htm

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@jtb226)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks wes. that was a great help!

~AC/DC

ReplyQuote