Clear all

Guitar setting - loud or quiet

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jimscafe)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have read a few of the comments in this forum which recommend you turn the volume on your guitar high when using pedals and FX.

I have never been satisfied with the FX I have bought, usually finding only one or at most two that I can use. Even the BOSS effects on the BR-8 d sounded far too muddy to use and the Zoom GFX-5 the same. This with a volume setting of mid-way.

Recently I tried with the volume on the guitar quite low and for me the effects were much better, not muddy and easier to control.

My guitar is a Mexican strat - which I love.

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I often post that my guitar is turned full up so the signal going into the pedal is high, offering as much information as possible. I temper or adjust with the output of the pedal, the volume pedal and amp.
I found that my overdrive is muddy when my guitar volume is to low.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I am kinda the opposite. I set my guitar volume to max only to set my max volume for solos, but then I will usually back the volume off to around 6-7 and use this for my rhythm guitar volume. This lower volume is the volume I will play with. I personally like the way an overdrive or distortion pedal will clean up for a nice "crunch" type tone. I like to hear every string. But that is me. :D

I will also slightly back off volume simply to get rid of any piercing highs in my tone. Take any guitar and back volume off even a little and listen how the highs roll off. I don't like piercing tones. Again, that is me.

And I like the ability to increase volume for solos. :twisted:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I will also slightly back off volume simply to get rid of any piercing highs in my tone. Take any guitar and back volume off even a little and listen how the highs roll off. I don't like piercing tones. Again, that is me.

Hey Wes-

Although you like this "classic" treble roll-off with volume decrease, many players do not. To combat that unintentional treble loss, a recommended change is the addition of a 0.001 uF "treble bleed" cap from the hot lug to the center lug of the volume pot. With this, the tone stays more constant as volume goes down -- and one can still use the tone control to take off the edge.

-=Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote