Skip to content
How would you fill ...

Notifications
Clear all

How would you fill in a speaker hole that is too large?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I have a 2 x 12 cab that I am replacing the speakers in. I got the cab for free, & the prob. is that a prev. owner cut the holes larger, & they are a bit too big for my replacements. I need to fill in probably 1/2" or more all the way around.

I could cut a ring & glue it in, that would be tedious work; anyone ever do a repair like this? Maybe there are pre-cut "fix-it" rings one can buy?

Ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

(@diceman)
Reputable Member

1. If there is room in the front you could cut a rectangular face plate out of at least 1/2 " plywood with proper sized holes in it and mount it on top of the existing mounting surface or it could be mounted on the inside as well . Most speakers can be mounted either from the top or the bottom . Glue it and attach it with wood screws to eliminate air gaps . Adhesive caulk is a good option also .

2. I don't know if the sonic properties of the cabinet will be affected adversely but you could try a square piece of sheet metal and cut holes correctly sized for the speakers . I did this with a horn once and it worked fine . The sheet metal wouldn't be so thick as to create clearance issues with the front speaker grill and it probably should be epoxied (caulked?) so there are no air leaks .

Wood is cheaper and easier to work with provided you have ( or know someone who has ) woodworking skills and equipment .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Diceman,

I thought about cutting a rectangular face plate out of ply & attaching it to the front just as you suggested. It seems like that would look like heck :mrgreen: but I guess it doesn't really matter that much to me, as this is just a cab for my practice room. I woun't be gigging with it or anything like that.

The extra weight might be a bit of an issue if I were gigging with it, but since I'm not...

And, I really don't have the means to do a decent job w/ sheet metal. I may opt for the plywood faceplate. Kind of like a "Frankenstein cab", lol!

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

A speaker grill of some sort would hide the cobble-job from sight and save embarrassment from the ridicule musician friends and family members would almost assuredly subject you to . (I know mine would !) Upholstery fabric is pretty good for the purpose and provides protection for the speaker cones .

"Diceman , have you seen the chair cushion cover ?"

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Can't you remove the face-plate? Sometimes the face plate is held in place by screws. You could replace the entire face-plate and cover it in grill cloth (if the original stuff would come off you could use that or buy new cloth)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

This is actually an angled cab that is probably meant for subwoofer use for in a car. I believe the MDF is all air nailed/glued together from factory. I have pieces of MDF, so I guess what I will do at this point is glue & screw (or air nail) a new face plate on it as suggested. I suppose that is the easiest method now.

If I removed the piece that is there, I would have to saw at the joint & cut through the screws. I've done that before on other projects, that is an option. I guess I will also be ordering up some new cloth & recovering the whole thing...or maybe vinyl/tolex this time around.

Funny how little jobs turn into big ones real quick - :roll:

Moral of this story; Measure twice, cut once... :|

ReplyQuote